ASM Diversity Week aims to ‘bring campus together’

The Associated Students of Madison Diversity Committee is proud to announce that it will be kicking off Diversity Week this week. The week will consist of Sexuality Day, Disability Day, Religious Day, Gender Day and Multicultural Day.

One of the main goals of the weeklong event is to promote the different spectrums of diversity that are continuously growing on campus. It is structured to bring the campus together and share student differences and similarities through varying identities.

Victoria Atkinson has been heading this project, and all of Diversity Committee hopes students have an opportunity to develop an awareness of diversity issues on campus through these events. It’s often easy to forget that things like this exist on campus and in society in general. Everyone on campus should have a place to feel safe and included and be passionate about issues they think are important.

Diversity Committee has also worked to incorporate different presentations from student organizations that will promote each of the identities throughout the week. Several participating organizations are Promoting Awareness, Victim Empowerment; Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano@ de Aztl?n; Sigma Alpha Omega Christian Sorority; Badgers for Developmental Disability Awareness; Sex Out Loud; and many more. There will be fliers posted around campus with the location, dates and presenters for every day of diversity week. We encourage all students to come and join the ASM Diversity Committee for the festivities!

Ricardo Moras and Derek Herman are interns with the Associated Students of Madison.