Pick mental health advocate for ASM

Mental health is an increasingly discussed topic in today’s society and for the better. In a 2009 study by the American College Health Association, 30 percent of college students reported experiencing depression so bad that it was difficult to function and there is little to show that has changed. Ignoring an issue doesn’t make it go away, so how can we have a positive impact? As the saying goes, the first step toward improvement is admitting there is a problem. According to the Illinois Department of Public Health, suicide is the second leading cause of death among college-aged students. We have a problem.

Fortunately, and as usual, the University of Wisconsin is ahead of the curve. Several groups are committed to providing care and awareness on campus. There’s the National Alliance on Mental Illness, ASK.LISTEN.SAVE., Active Minds, To Write Love on Her Arms and Supporting Peers in Laid-Back Listening, to name several. Add to these University Health Services’ professional services and some of the most caring professors in the country. Officers from NAMI, ASK.LISTEN.SAVE. and Active Minds have joined forces via an unprecedented student collaboration called the Mental Health Coalition, which is itself a registered student organization. These groups are bringing a new force of positive change to the UW campus and their collaboration is just beginning. With all of this action happening, and the increasing complexity of services and organizations, the Associated Students of Madison needs someone in their midst who understands it all.

Last semester, MHC held its first event. The Stress Reduction Fair highlighted mental health services at a critical time – going into final exams – with a fun and inviting atmosphere. MHC was fortunate to have a partner at ASM who ended up leading the effort. As an intern for ASM, she went above and beyond, taking on the full responsibilities of an event coordinator. The woman who made this happen is now running for Student Council on the platform of bringing mental health to the forefront at ASM. Her name is Kayla Van Cleave.

Event organization is no small task. Kayla displayed both her ability to lead and her commitment to mental health on campus. It is not just about skill, however. It’s about attitude. Kayla is the type of person who seeks first to understand and is willing to go the extra distance with a smile. When it comes to mental health, understanding is paramount and there is still a long way to go.

Every campus should have a mental health champion in student government. A vote for Kayla is a vote for bringing mental health services to the forefront in ASM. Kayla Van Cleave is in a unique position to fulfill that role and UW is fortunate to have such a dedicated person to bring that issue to the Student Council. Letters and Science students should vote for Kayla between March 11 and 13. Voting takes place online at asm.wisc.edu and ends at 5 p.m. on Wednesday, March 13.

William Merrick ([email protected]) is a UW alumnus, navy veteran and founder of the Mental Health Coalition.