Participate, vote in ASM

We all know what time of year it is: election season. I’m sure you have all seen the commercials, and maybe noticed our current president stopped by a few weeks ago. However, it’s also election season for our campus. The Associated Students of Madison Freshmen Student Council Representative elections are currently in progress, and not only is it incredibly important that you vote, including freshmen and first year students, but it’s also crucial to take the next step and get involved in our work.

Voting is an incredibly powerful tool to voice concerns, and getting involved in campaigns in addition can do so much more to further our ability to advocate for students. ASM Student Council is a place for elected representatives to voice their opinions on behalf of students, but in addition we host many grassroots committees running effective campaigns for students.

Diversity Committee, University Affairs Committee, Legislative Affairs Committee and Shared Governance Committee are all groups of students who hold weekly open meetings in the Student Activities Center, in which students have full speaking and voting rights. All students are welcome and encouraged to attend these meetings, and more information about them can be found on ASM’s website, asm.wisc.edu. You can also check for updates on our Facebook and Twitter (@asmstudentgovt) pages.

I highly encourage all students to become active participants in ASM, because all students enrolled in the University of Wisconsin are members of ASM. Becoming involved not only guarantees your voice is heard, but also that your Wisconsin Experience is enhanced.

Grace Bolt ([email protected]) is the Assistant Press Office Director for ASM, and a sophomore studying journalism.