Vote yes on Union terrace plan for student lounge, views

As students prepare to vote in the ASM election Oct. 17-19, we urge you not only to VOTE, but vote informed. We would like to share with you the facts necessary for an informed vote.

A YES vote means that students want the Union’s student-led design process to continue, which is the same process used to design and build Union South. Students in 2006 voted to not only build a new Union South, but also to renovate Memorial Union. Part of the 2006 vote included the addition of a student/theater lounge. No matter how you vote today, this will not impact the amount of your segregated fees.

You should be reassured by knowing that students’ needs and rights are being protected by three committees that oversee the project, all of which have student majorities.

The student/theater lounge will benefit you and your fellow students as a lounge with panoramic views of Lake Mendota year-round. This lounge space will be open even during Theater events.  Union Council, the Union’s governing board, recently approved a procedure that strictly limits the use of this space for private functions. Students deserve this space. 

Additionally, the 20+ student organizations that annually hold their events in the Union Theater deserve adequate and appropriate lobby space that wasn’t built when the Theater was constructed in the Great Depression. Voting YES supports these hundreds of students and their audiences.

From Sept. 15: ASM begins vote on Union project

The addition will not significantly block sun, wind or views – most of which are already blocked by the Theater itself or Helen C. White. Wind and sun studies can be viewed on the Union Reinvestment website. The sun will only be blocked 30-40 minutes earlier for two weeks in the spring and fall, during times when the chairs are not on the Terrace. The wind will only be affected in the winter months, when the Terrace is covered in snow.

Some people say that the addition will force removal of an old tree. The Union is working closely with local arborist and UW professor Bruce Allison to plan for green space and the canopy. Allison has stated that the tree is rotted inside, likely won’t last 5 years and is a hazard. Allison also credits the Union for the work it has done preserving its canopy. Allison has been working with these trees for 31 years and is planning for additional healthy trees to be planted on the Terrace.  Preserving the tree canopy is an important priority for everyone, but saving a tree that is so sick it will need to be removed soon anyway is a poor reason to oppose improvements for the student body.

We urge you to get the facts and vote YES. A YES vote increases Terrace seating by 2500 sq. ft, creates a student lounge, provides crucial space for student organizations and year-round access to the lake.

Kiley Groose ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in management and human resources and accounting and is chair of Students for Memorial Union.