UW voice crucial on housing

At Tuesday’s City Council Meeting students and young professionals gathered in support of a new ordinance that could have a large impact on apartment showing and leasing procedures in the campus area. This new ordinance would restrict apartment showing and leasing until after 45 percent of the current lease, or essentially, students could wait until December or January to decide to renew. Testimony began at 8:50 p.m. and shortly after midnight two things were clear: the current rental system is broken, and students have a voice on the matter.

The overwhelmingly large number of students present heard testimony from the large property management companies including Steve Brown and Madison Property Management who claim the current showing and leasing system works. These companies maintain students are eager to sign in November and that January is not an optimal time for study aboard students to rent. They also argued a rampant sub-leasing culture would develop on campus forcing students to panic and outbid for premium apartments if the ordinance changed.

Although these statements give the impression that the current showing and leasing system is in the best interest of the tenants, MPM and Steve Brown do not represent students or all landlords. Despite the allegation made by property management companies, November is too soon for students to make a decision on where they want to live the following year.

At such an early point in the semester, future plans are far from concrete. Tenants rarely know their landlord, repair times are ambiguous and winter utility bills are unknown. These concerns are amplified as inboxes are flooded with advertisements in late September – four weeks into the school year and 10 months before starting their next lease.

The artificial housing rush in November has been created by false marketing practices. Whether the ordinance states 25 percent or 45 percent of the lease expiration before showing and renewing, a majority of apartments will be occupied the following fall. Tenants are not disappearing from campus – and neither will landlords.

Not all landlords agree with MPM and Steve Brown’s position. Small property management companies are competing with these larger marketing efforts. The Surf and Surfside already waits until January before asking for renewals. In speaking with their manager, “Students don’t have enough time otherwise.”

This is not just a freshman/sophomore issue but a critical problem renting in Madison. While I empathize with the property owner attempting to secure new tenants, the decision to renew a lease cannot be made overnight.

The student voice at the City Council Meeting made a substantial difference: all five fringe student district alders have overtly supported a compromise between student tenants and landlords. However, change requires a majority of the council – and a student voice.

Scott Resnick ([email protected]) is the president of the State-Langdon Neighborhood Association.