Don’t blame desk staff

I wanted to clarify some of the information presented about security and actions of University Housing staff in response to the death of an elderly Madison community member in the lobby of Witte Hall (“Eighty-one-year-old male dies in Southeast dormitory,” Oct. 2).

University Housing takes the security of residents extremely seriously. In the Southeast Residence Halls, our main lobby doors are unlocked during daylight hours to allow for students, visitors and staff to attend classes held in our buildings along with conducting normal business. These doors are closely monitored by the hall desk staff. No access without an ID or key is allowed to the floors where students are located. All other doors are locked and monitored by an electronic access system. There are video cameras at all entrances.

In addition, our staff desk staff quickly responded to this incident and should be commended for their actions. These staff members recognized an issue, calmly responded to the situation, and called 911 immediately. They did their best to care for this gentleman, checking his vital signs until help arrived, remaining calm and professional. We express our sadness over his death to his family and friends.

Instead of being referred to in the paper as failing to act, these students should be praised for their heroic response. We want our campus to know that we strive for safety in our residence halls and our student staff are well-trained, and are actually quite amazing under very difficult circumstances.

Paul Evans
Director, University Housing
[email protected]