Student input can shape debate

Recently, Chancellor Carolyn “Biddy” Martin proposed a tuition increase called the Madison Initiative for Undergraduates. While some of the goals of this initiative seem worthy and noble, many students have found problems with parts of this plan and have voiced valid oppositions and concerns through the Madison Initiative for Undergraduate website’s forums (www.madisoninitiative.wisc.edu) and through local student newspapers.

While it is admirable that Chancellor Biddy Martin tried to collect student feedback through the Madison Initiative for Undergraduates website, thus far no action has been taken to change the proposal to accommodate the concerns of current and future students and their parents. Therefore, if students do not take real action to oppose this proposal, it will soon be passed by the Board of Regents.

Fortunately students also have the opportunity to voice their opinions to a governing student body that will listen to their concerns and take them into consideration. The Associated Students of Madison Student Council starts each of its meetings with an open forum where all UW Madison students are allowed to speak. At the next meeting, Student Council will decide whether or not to give The Madison Initiative for Undergraduates its full endorsement. Student Council endorsement is necessary for this proposal to go before the Board of Regents. However, if the initiative does receive ASM Student Council endorsement, it will surely go to the Board of Regents to be voted on, and then students will have missed the opportunity to express their concerns to the peers who represent them. The ASM Student Council provides the best outlet for students to express their disagreements to the proposal with the hope of action being taken.

For this very reason it is imperative all students attend the next Student Council meeting on Wednesday April 22 at 6:30 p.m. in the Hearing Room on the fourth floor of the Student Activity Center (333 East Campus Mall) and make their opinions known before Student Council makes an irreversible decision that may eventually cost them thousands of dollars.

?

Allison Wolfe

Psychology ’10

[email protected]