Fighting for a writer’s freedom

While I was reading Oct. 28 op-ed “Joining Military Patently Wrong” by Sam Clegg, my blood started to heat up. I take offense to Clegg’s opinion, but I hope he realizes that the people who fought and died for freedom in this country were not afraid to do so. I share the feeling of the founding fathers that we all have a right to freedom. I believe this feeling of pride has been lost in our culture today.

I am in the United States Air Force, and I will continue to fight for everyone who does or does not support us. My job is not to decide what freedoms my nation holds dear; my job is to follow orders at the direction of you, the civilians of America. However, my career is also my calling, and I will serve to protect and defend the constitution every day. I am not a mindless killer; I’m here getting a college degree, which would not have been possible without the military supporting me.

I believe in this country the way people used to believe in this country. I am proud to be an American, and I am proud of America. America has proven to the world that a responsible republic can and will thrive and prosper. However, when the public opinion of the people who defend our nation turns for the worse, the airmen, soldiers, sailors and marines wonder what country they are fighting for. I hold the ideals of America sacred, and I will fight to protect what is right.

In my aerospace science class we discussed what it means to be in the profession of arms. Our professor, who is a captain in the Air Force and a veteran of the Kosovo conflict, told us, “Nobody wants war; nobody wants people to die.” He also said that if you want war and want violence, then you need professional help. However, sometimes these things are necessary for the protection of freedoms and privileges, and somebody has to do it. I whole-heartedly agree with him. Finally, I thank Clegg for his opinion, because that’s what America stands for, and that’s why I’m fighting.

Dustin Spencer

Sophomore, mechanical engineering

[email protected]