Classroom =/= soapbox

At the University of Wisconsin, being politically neutral can be a mighty task. Aligning left of center on the political spectrum ensures you a spot in the majority here in Dane County, and it can be easy to assume everyone you encounter on this historically progressively campus will agree with you. We encourage professors in this politically-charged time to keep a healthy, balanced dialogue in the classroom.

In light of the recent presidential and vice presidential debates, UW professors cannot forget the UW System rule that requires faculty and staff to refrain from engaging in political activity while on the clock. Faculty cannot advocate for one political idea over another on students who pay for a comprehensive education.

If a student feels like a certain department is a haven for liberalism or conservatism, and they have opposing views and choose to not take those classes, they miss out on the learning those classes provide. Professors must do all they can to fight political stereotypes associated with the university and with the schools within it.

We have no doubt certain courses naturally warrant discussion of current political issues and events. These discussions, if handled properly, can greatly enhance students’ educations through relevant real-world examples.

When professors take class time to engage in discussion of current events, it is crucial they encourage a safe space for all students to be able to engage and think critically about candidates and issues. Laughing at a gaffe or talking about how one candidate is doing better in the polls is not an issue in the slightest. It is when a professor’s opinion becomes embedded in the course material and students’ performance that is not tolerable.

It is critical professors recognize while students come to political science courses to learn about politics, this does not imply they want to learn about their professors’ politics.

Aside from the serious consequences of isolating those who trust professors to teach, this type of behavior also cheapens students’ educations at a time when the price tags are high. Students must be provided with an environment that fosters critical thinking and allows for viewpoints outside of dominant media messages.

In a town where wearing a Romney-Ryan t-shirt can get you heckled off State Street, professors need to always be checking their professionalism. We are not advocating for vanilla discussions on topics a la a fourth grade social studies course. We are not advocating for avoiding difficult political issues. But no matter which side of the spectrum students are on, they should never feel intimidated by classroom pressure to keep their mouths shut.