ACC marching forward

The proposed Associated Students of Madison constitution just became stronger.

After members of Student Council raised concerns that there would not be sufficient time for education before a spring vote, the new constitution will instead be included on the fall election ballot. The move will allow comprehensive public education, further collaboration and fine-tuning to make the document even better.

Although some members of the ASM Constitutional Committee will graduate this year, capable leaders have stepped forward to carry the constitution through the summer and into the fall. They are backed by many fresh faces on ASM who are focused on improving the student government instead of continuing the stagnating infighting that consumed this year’s session. Numerous college and school student governments have also gotten behind the document and will lend their organizing prowess in the coming months.

ACC leaders will oversee the recrafting of www.asmconstitution.com to showcase expanded, accessible information concerning the new constitution and increased outreach to registered student organizations and student governments that the new bylaws would impact. They will also ensure the education of as many students on campus as possible, creating a voting population that is aware of the document’s impact and benefits to their future education and campus experience.

The principles behind the new ASM constitution remain strong. The University of Wisconsin needs effective student governance, and the new constitution will lay the necessary foundation for a successful future.

In the meantime, we need your help. To get the constitution on the fall ballot, the ACC needs 4,200 signatures. To find out more about the constitution and see how you can support it with your signature, email [email protected]. Let’s move ASM forward.