Lobby or die

In Wisconsin politics, the game has changed. With the likelihood of rising tuition and
limited governmental support for the University of Wisconsin System, it is important for
students to learn the new rules. No longer will sheer numbers and volume work; moving
persuasively in the current political structure is the most effective way to accomplish
positive change.

United Council and the Associated Students of Madison’s Lobbying Day on March 6 is a
solid step forward to teaching students the new rules. Under the slogan “Dear Legislators , WI Need to Talk,” UC is rallying students from across the System to learn Lobbying 101 and meet with legislators on both sides of the political
spectrum.

Students will have a chance to meet with policy- and decision-makers with clout. Even
though the event is held in Madison, the students will sit down with leaders whose
influence extend beyond Dane County.

There are different strengths a student lobbyist can bring to the table compared to a professional
lobbyist. Students are the ones who are directly affected by the cuts and decisions made
at the Capitol. They have the opportunity to bring poignant personal accounts of their
campus experiences to their representatives in a professional meeting.

While this board has been historically skeptical of United Council and its tepid efforts
toward student power, the joint lobbying day is the sort of direct action which has
promise to be effective in a political climate which is currently not promising for the
future of higher education.

Tough times are ahead for the UW System. In a meeting with this board last week, UW
System spokesperson David Giroux said students will not be slapped with the effects all
at once, but rather resources and personnel will slowly be peeled away from the campus.
These cuts will affect every UW student in some fashion, even if it takes a bit to seep in.

It’s important to let legislators know students are watching and have a unified voice.
Lobbying Day is open to all students, and coming out to speak to legislators and other
officials is the first step to a stronger student voice.

You can find more information and register to lobby on UC’s website, unitedcouncil.net, or join its Facebook event titled Lobby Day.