“Eat shit, fuck you” profanely stupid idea

At The Badger Herald, we like to use terms like “fuck” and “shit” liberally. They are fun words that are perfect for many college-related situations, such as recounting a memorable night out or discovering a reporter will deadline by two hours.

So, as advocates of profanity, this board does not oppose the common “Eat shit! Fuck you!” chant common at Badger football games. After all, most of us are just 20-somethings no less likely to swear at Camp Randall than we would anywhere else.

However, Athletic Director Barry Alvarez and Head Coach Bret Bielema – both figures who demand significant respect and admiration in the Badger community – have asked the student section to end the chant because of the negative impact it has on the University of Wisconsin’s reputation.

Despite how many of us participate in the chant, we believe the campus should heed their request. Because of the UW football team’s recent national prominence, we as students must maintain an image consistent with the values of the program. The chant does not just affect our national reputation – it also discourages donors from giving to UW and UW Athletics.

Most importantly, we are not losing much by kicking our profane habits at football games. Traditions like Jump Around or even the a capella singing of tunes like “Build Me Up Buttercup” are infinitely more important to our student section than the chant. Defying the administration on such a trivial issue is counterproductive to our status as respected students. To put it frankly, it is stupid.

UW will find a way to stop the chant. Because giving away two free bowl tickets for every game there is no chanting has and will continue to fail, the university may pursue further action. If UW is committed to ending the chant, they could turn to taking away other lauded traditions like Jump Around or even the presence of Bucky Badger. Giving up a mostly meaningless chant would easily outweigh the disappointment of losing some of our favorite game day traditions.

Alvarez and Bielema wagging their fingers at the student body will not be enough to stop the chant, but if we continue, worse things will happen. Instead, we as students need to take it upon ourselves to discourage our fellow students from continuing it.

We cherish our football games and the name of our great university, and if you continue participating in the chant and tarnish our national reputation, well, fuck you.