Biddynomics 101: Solving for axe

There is much to be made of Gov. Scott Walker’s proposed budget and the effects it will have on the University of Wisconsin. But considering the state’s present $137 million budget deficit and Walker’s blunt crusade to tackle it, one thing is clear: It could have been much worse.

The proposed cut of $125 million, or 13 percent, to UW’s budget came as a surprise to Chancellor Biddy Martin, who had expected a cut of $50 million. Thankfully, this cut came with an even more valuable gift.

Granting UW greater autonomy from the state by giving it public authority status would allow the school to strategically confront short-term pain and expected tuition hikes in a way that preserves our excellence in the long run.

Under the previous estimation of a $50 million cut, UW tuition was expected to rise by 10 percent. Even though the actual cut was $75 million more, this freedom will allow administrators to more easily avoid raising tuition accordingly – one could have reasonably predicted a 25-percent increase without this freedom.

Martin has said a specific increase has not been settled, but the goal is to avoid the 16 to 18-percent hikes seen under former Gov. Jim Doyle’s administration. In 2003, the Doyle budget cut $250 million from the UW System.

In light of the assault on higher education throughout the Doyle administration, which executed multiple massive cuts without providing any of the freedom or tools to properly deal with them, Walker’s proposed cuts just don’t look all that bad.

It should also be mentioned that with the unfortunate exception of ending the Wisconsin Covenant program – a $25 million a year fund for additional financial aid to the state’s best students – regular state financial aid is not affected by the proposed budget.

We remain wary of the potential influence of a governing board of trustees with a majority of governor appointees, and also recognize greater cuts are possible down the line. But the UW community would do well to recognize a good deal in these worrisome economic times.

The tact and foresight with which Martin confronted these looming challenges can also not be overlooked. Without her proactive and dedicated approach to preserving the preeminent standing of our university, we can all be certain things could have been much worse.