Smoked out

With a $5.9 billion budget shortfall looming for the state, it makes sense for Gov. Jim Doyle to take measures to remedy the impending fiscal crisis before it gets any worse. As for the plan itself, Doyle and the state government will be instituting 1 percent cut across the board for all state agencies, as well as some tax increases, leading Doyle to claim an extra $2.2 billion will be cut over the next biennium.

However, Doyle has also included measures that seem somewhat unrelated to the state’s budget and two proposals in particular have drawn this board’s attention.

The first is Doyle’s inclusion of a statewide smoking ban in the state budget plan. Such a measure is likely to draw hearty opposition from constituencies weary of state intervention in personal lifestyles.

Additionally, it is difficult to see how instituting a statewide ban will have any influence whatsoever on the viability of the state’s finances. Doyle, along with other proponents, believe a ban will save the state Medicare costs, but any effect will be long term and will likely have less of a budgetary impact than predicted.

Furthermore, we find the proposal ideologically suspect. Given the climate has produced calls for smoke-free workplaces, it makes more sense for businesses to make their own decisions on the situation. If there is enough of an outcry to remove smoking from restaurants and bars, businesses will make the decisions themselves based on the demands of their customers and businesses’ own economic viability.

Doyle’s second notable proposal was the inclusion of domestic partnership benefits for all state workers. While the measure is likely to encounter strong opposition in the state Legislature, we believe it is high time the state took an interest in the advancement of basic rights to all individuals regardless of their sexual preferences or marital status. If one believes in the concept of such benefits, the budget plan is the ideal place to include them, as it will allow legislators to plan for their payment.

We believe half of Doyle’s controversial amending was worthwhile. Regardless of the merits of banning public smoking statewide, it will not affect the fiscal solvency of the budget in any way and will simply engender opposition from those opposed to it. Such a move may also threaten Doyle’s worthwhile effort to overcome one of the state’s most glaring civil rights omissions.