Final countdown

For well over six months, both Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama and Republican presidential candidate John McCain have urged the public to elect him the next president of the United States. And today is the day you have the chance to step into that voting booth and decide who will be the commander in chief of our country for the next four years. Regardless of whether you cast a vote for “change” or decide to put your “country first,” one aspect should be made perfectly clear: You must vote.

Election Day is the day you are able to stand apart from your friends, family and fellow students to perform one of the most basic — but also one of the most vital — functions of a democracy. Your vote will help decide who could revive our economy, redefine foreign policy and ultimately control the future of the United States.

Your vote becomes a voice that allows you to tell politicians what matters to you — a college student — and to our generation. Due to the recent collapse of Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and the investment banking industry, most the political dialogue in the past few months has concerned the economy — a highly relevant issue to any student, no doubt. But, with an overwhelming number of college students taking to the polls, you can also urge our nation’s next president to pay adequate attention to issues like college affordability or social issues.

This power can come down to your vote. In the 2000 presidential election, Wisconsin‘s support of Democratic presidential candidate Al Gore was decided by only 5,500 votes. To put this into perspective, more students — approximately 3,000 more — won Badger football tickets in this year’s lottery.

But perhaps more important than simply filling out a ballot, be sure to cast an informed vote. In order to serve the American public’s needs, a thorough understanding of the candidates’ policies is crucial. Fortunately, Wisconsin polls are open from 7 a.m. until 8 p.m. today, which should allow plenty of time to brush up on the candidates’ policies. We also urge you to arrive to the polls early. Although a number of professors have cancelled classes to allow students to vote, lines may still be lengthy, so budget your time accordingly.

No matter who earns that seat in the Oval Office, today’s election will be a historic one. Help write a page or two in the history books. Vote.