City of brotherly love

The University of Wisconsin received a $20 million gift from two anonymous donors last week to construct a new campus music center. The new facility, to be built on the northwest corner of Lake Street and University Avenue and tentatively set for completion in 2013, will replace the low-quality performance halls in the Humanities building.

One hitch remains in the university’s plans: The site of the new center is the current home to two properties not owned by UW. Most notably, the popular watering hole Brothers Bar and Grill is located at the site. Among the options on the table for UW to obtain the property is to invoke the always-controversial power of eminent domain.

There’s no question the university could, if it wants to, use eminent domain in this situation. The property acquired would be converted into a music facility owned and operated by the state’s flagship university, undeniably a public use.

But it is important to note a few other considerations. Although the block in question is not among the more aesthetically pleasing locales along University Avenue, it is certainly not blighted. Indeed, Brothers does good business at the spot.

Nor is the use of eminent domain to build a music center as vital as using it to build a road, for instance. It is a facility that benefits a decidedly narrow segment of the population.

We are encouraged the university seems to recognize that invoking eminent domain is a last-resort option. UW will make a strong effort to negotiate a fair and reasonable price for the properties it wants to acquire, according to UW spokesman David Giroux.

Brothers may decide that it does not wish to leave downtown Madison. Should Brothers find a suitable location downtown to move its bar, the city should make this feasible from a regulatory perspective. This means allowing Brothers to transfer its alcohol license to a new location.

Property rights are sacred. Being forced to relocate from a profitable location surely will be a tough pill to swallow for Brothers. The university and city should make the process as non-coercive and straightforward as possible.