Avoiding responsibilities, Board of Regents refuses to hear UW System chancellors

Damage done by budget cuts needs to be addressed, not handed off to others
Margaret Duffey

From budget cuts to meeting agenda cuts, the University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents is turning a blind eye to the financial impact the reduction of state funding has left on UW System campuses.

The Board of Regents has decided to forgo the opportunity to hear from UW System chancellors about the effects of the state funding cuts. Instead, the chancellors were invited to deliver the message to members of communities near UW System campuses on their own.

But come on, who really wants to hear all that jazz about out-of-state tuition going up and engineering students having to pay some extra fees anyway?

$250 million cut to UW System remains as Assembly passes state budget

Sure, maybe UW, an institution renowned for research, lost some pretty important research funding for innovative ways of fighting Alzheimer’s Disease and maybe a few employees were laid off, but who’s really counting, right?

Well played, Board of Regents. We all know it’s easy to blame the messenger when bad news is delivered. Most likely the board is trying to use a little defense through disassociation.

All cynical suspicions aside, the Board of Regent’s next meeting appears to actually be relatively busy. But either way, it definitely does not look good when a governing body has someone else deliver the bad news.

The fact of the matter is, these budget cuts undeniably left substantial results throughout the UW System, which impacted many people. The Board of Regents should make time in their agenda to address this system wide issue and the aftermath of it instead of having the individual schools do their dirty work.

Phil Michaelson ([email protected]) is a sophomore majoring in biomedical engineering.