Mishandling of sexual assaults contributes to rampant under-reporting

Only 67 of approximately 735 cases at UW were investigated over the past five years, only 27 solved
Flickr user Caron

It is no secret that sexual assault on college campuses across the United States is a major issue. It is an issue that has become an untreated epidemic due to campus authorities and police mishandling cases.

By definition, sexual assault is a blanket statement, and the term can refer to anything from an unwanted touch to rape. There have been many studies about the prevalence of sexual assault on college campuses, and 23 percent, nearly one in four female college students, report having experienced some form of sexual assault.

Rejecting silence: Student survivors take control, speak out on sexual violence

This number is a deeply troubling reality. As the statistics regarding sexual assault on college campuses are further explored, the truth becomes much darker. For instance, only five to 28 percent of sexual assaults were reported to the proper authorities   shockingly low numbers.

Furthermore, the follow-up that occurs after these reports is even more grim. At the University of Wisconsin, police investigated only 67 cases of approximately 735 sexual assaults over the past five years, and from that, 27 students were found responsible. In terms of disciplinary action, only three of these students were expelled.

These troubling numbers paint a picture of an issue that has been ingrained in American culture for far too long: the idea that the victim is to blame for a sexual assault. According to a UW system annual report, many victims avoid reporting a sexual assault because they believe they will not be taken seriously.

Report: More than one in four women sexually assaulted at UW

As many students may recall, an invitation to participate in the Association of American Universities Campus Climate Survey on Sexual Assault and Sexual Misconduct was sent to the UW student body early in the fall. The results confirmed the statistics from nationwide surveys and highlighted an issue on our campus that cannot be ignored.

Results from the survey showed the important finding that minority groups, which include female students, disabled students, non-heterosexual students and students who reported themselves as American Indian or Alaska Native  disproportionately reported sexual assaults.

This says something startling about our campus culture: those who do not fit into the majority feel less comfortable reporting sexual assault.  

The office of Civil Right of the U.S. Department of Education is now investigating UW, as well as 159 other colleges in the U.S. UW may be violating the federal law Title IX, which addresses and negates discrimination based on sex. Out of the 159 other colleges, only three have more open investigations than UW.

University of Wisconsin under federal investigation for handling of sexual assault cases

The three sexual violence cases under investigation are being scrutinized for the way they were handled. This includes possible Title IX violations. Neither of the parties involved released any details about these three cases, but the need for the investigation itself speaks volumes about sexual assaults on campuses, specifically right here at UW.

It is easier to ignore these cases, since it is sometimes hard to believe these things are happening where we live, work and attend classes. Sometimes, it can be difficult to believe the staggering number of sexual assaults and discouraging to see how little action is taken.

UW has some helpful resources in place for those who have experienced a sexual assault, including the services provided by UHS, student organizations such as EVOC or PAVE and educational materials such as the summary of an individual’s rights under Title IX.

These resources set into place are certainly a beneficial start, but while sexual assaults are underreported and even less are investigated, it is still not enough. The investigations at UW highlight these issues, but until sexual assault on campus is no longer a problem, efforts to prevent assault and investigations of sexual assault must continue and grow if we want to empower victims of these horrendous crimes.

Hannah Fricke ([email protected]) is a junior majoring in microbiology.