Erickson: Win or lose, fans exaggerate role of UW coaches

The state of fandom may just be one of the hardest burdens to bear in the sports world.

A fan – whether because they were born into their fandom, or developed it over time – is often a lifetime supporter through sickness and in health.

A fan knows the ins and outs of their team. They know the history the program was built on and always feel they know the positive direction it is headed.

But sadly, a fan is not on the field. They cannot influence the outcome of the game or proverbially put the team on their back. Nor can a fan stand on the sidelines and guide the team or create strategies to win.

Ultimately, all a fan can do is sit, watch and either end up cheering or complaining.

Unfortunately for Wisconsin athletics, Badger nation has found plenty to complain about lately. But the resolution to those complaints is often a simple and irrational phrase: fire the head coach.

On Oct. 29, the Wisconsin football team welcomed Michigan State to Madison. After Joel Stave’s season was ended by a broken collar bone and an ill-prepared Danny O’Brien stepped in under center behind a crumbling offensive line, a chorus of “Fire Bret Bielema” -s rang out over Twitter, comments on stories and from the crowd as it filtered out of Camp Randall.

Only a week later, as the Wisconsin men’s hockey team wrapped up a disappointing home opening series with a series sweep at the hands of Colorado College, some fans took similar actions as the football fans as the phrase “Fire Mike Eaves” started to creep through the Crease Creatures.

Frankly, this sort of rhetoric needs to stop, especially with two successful coaches who have done a lot for UW in their time here.

Fans need to step back and realize how big of an influence head coaches have on the overall outcome of games. While they can run drills in practice and hopefully learn how to manage the clock in a tight game on the field or the rink, the coaches can’t make their team score – they can only hope they’ve done enough to give their team the best options to do so.

For instance, while Bret Bielema’s clock management has often been suspect in game-defining moments, he has still fielded two Rose Bowl teams in his seven years at UW – and could be well on his way to a third (fingers crossed). But those Rose Bowl runs also aren’t solely Bielema’s doing – he had some of the most talented Badger teams under his command.

After the 2012 Rose Bowl loss – again with a slightly mismanaged clock on Bielema’s part – fans were calling for his head. While he commanded a team which executed the game plan week in a week out, Bielema can’t take full credit for either a loss or a win. Bielema wasn’t the one who fumbled the ball late in the game near the Oregon sideline. Bielema wasn’t out on the field, incapable of slowing down a potent Oregon offense. But he also wasn’t the one to score any points.

Now, it must be stated that the blame isn’t entirely on the players either. If we must play the blame game, Wisconsin’s past struggles are a mixture of lack of confidence and an inability to properly execute the game plan.

The foundation is there. There are many players who have played on the biggest stages, but for one reason or another, they just can’t put it completely together this year. One week they’re playing their best football, the next they can’t move the ball on the ground.

Blame Bielema as much as you want, but the reality is he’s not the main reason the Badgers are stumbling. Sure there are better coaches out there and I’ll readily admit Bielema is not my favorite, but he’s not the crux of the issue right now for Wisconsin.

Similarly across campus, the Badgers were swept by the Tigers of Colorado College in their home opener in men’s hockey. After Saturday night’s 3-0 loss, one fan reached out to me via Twitter expressing the need for Mike Eaves’ tenure to come to an end.

While it’s understandable to be upset after such a weekend, Eaves is working with a relatively young team early in the season that knows it has a lot of potential. They’re also inconsistent – but this isn’t something Eaves can directly control. As hard as he can make them skate in practice, he can’t direct the puck to the back of the net mid-game.

Eaves also has a proven track record of success with a NCAA title in 2006 and a return trip in 2010. He also coached Wisconsin’s first Hobey Baker winner – Blake Geoffrion in 2010. Plus, only six games into a 36 game season, it’s far too early to ask for his head on a silver platter.

And that’s the real problem in both cases: it’s far too early to make a judgment on whether or not either coach is properly doing their job. Teams often take some time to develop or play at a consistent level – as we’ve seen with both the football and men’s hockey teams so far through their respective seasons.

Let’s have this talk again when the season is over. But for right now, let’s hold off on firing anyone; this is not the time for rash decisions.

Kelly is a senior majoring in journalism. Think Wisconsin needs to clean house? Let her know at [email protected] or hit her up on Twitter @kellymerickson.