Sound policies warrant four more years

President Barack Obama has been the first great American president of the 21st century. He has moved American social, economic and international policy in the right direction and has brilliantly and tactfully addressed the problems facing this nation. Not only has Obama earned a second term based on his performance thus far, but also by presenting a plan for our future that is too good to pass up. Obama has proved he is deserving of a second term.

Obama saved the economy from the brink of collapse and has aided in economic recovery and job creation. When Obama came to office, the economy was crashing at an alarming rate. In three months, America’s GDP lost nearly 3 percent of its value and in six months the stock market lost over half of its value. Economists estimate the auto bailout saved about one million jobs, and the stimulus saved somewhere between $1.5-3.5 million.

The loans given to the auto industry during the bailout have been paid back, and the city of Detroit is becoming stronger. Obama’s leadership gave the economy just the spark it needed to start growing, and we have created over 3 million jobs since 2010 and our GDP is growing again. We need to continue this work to make our economy stronger. Obama put in place Dodd-Frank Act to end the corrupt practices on Wall Street that resulted in the recession, and since then, the stock market has made a nearly complete recovery. Today, we are stronger because of Obama’s leadership on economic issues and continuing those policies will keep us on the track for growth.

Obamacare was an excellent piece of policy. Before the bill, we were paying more money for worse coverage than any industrialized nation in the world. Accordingly, the legislation was aimed at making coverage more cost efficient, while raising the quality of care. It is projected to save us nearly $1 trillion in its second decade and will improve the quality of care and expand coverage.

On social issues, Obama has continued our nations great march towards equality. He ended Don’t Ask Don’t Tell and allowed gay patriots to serve actively in our military and become the first president in history to voice support for marriage equality while in office. Obama made the decision to not deport any law abiding undocumented immigrant younger than 30-years-old that has been here since childhood. This is fair because as Michelle Obama said at a campaign rally in Wausau, “No one should have to worry about being deported from the only country they’ve ever called home,” reported the Daily Kos. The first act he signed made it easier for women to sue their employers for pay discrimination. He has appointed two women to the Supreme Court. This administration has made strides in the ongoing struggle for equal rights for all.

Perhaps Obama has shined most in foreign policy. His administration and the U.S. military brought a responsible end to the war in Iraq. We are set to withdraw from Afganistan in 2014. The president and NATO worked together to stop Muammar Gaddafi in Libya and prevent genocide. The mission was inexpensive, and we did not built their nation, but rather, we helped the Libyans defeat a brutal dictator and got out. Obama has implemented sanctions to prevent Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon. His administration took action to bring Osama Bin Laden to justice. Obama has made the world a safer place and helped restore our reputation abroad.

In his second term, Obama will continue to make this nation green by rebuilding our infrastructure – this will aid in job creation. He will work to pass the DREAM Act to give undocumented immigrants a path to citizenship. There are plans to bring our troops back home. Obama’s proposals are exactly what this country needs.
The future of this nation lies in your hands. If we vote to reelect president Obama the United States will be a stronger nation. Please vote Obama to continue the work of this administration.

Spencer Lindsay ([email protected]) is a sophomore majoring in poltical science.