Muslim extremism serious problem

Readers wholly unable to digest anything “politically incorrect” or offensive are advised to read no further.

A two minute segment of the nearly 14 minute trailer for the movie “Innocence of Muslims” recently provoked religious riots all across the Middle East and Africa, resulting in the murder of the U.S. Ambassador to Libya and the burning of schools and entire towns. Upon watching the “incendiary” video myself, I was completely dumbfounded as to how the heck it could drive anybody to violent protest. It reminded me of a Monty Python comedy, except with only a shred of the quality – it was a compilation of extremely amateur footage.

And this “offensive” video is what has driven far too many Muslims to riot. The extreme irrationality of the Muslim radicals responsible for these riots is compounded by the fact that torching their own cities only hurts them and does little to get back at those opposed to radical Islam. What are these people thinking? Whoever kills or riots over this video is a religious extremist.

Let them be offended! Perhaps a little offense is needed to give them a lesson in tolerance. America would do better to offend religious radicals than censor everything like a nation of cowards bending to the will of extremists.

I am getting pretty sick and tired of people who are sympathetic to radical Muslims or apologize to them – cue President Barack Obama – for any offense caused by the Western world. It seems Islamic extremists have no respect for freedom of speech. Religion does not have some special, privileged protection or immunity from criticism and parody. I hope more people continue to denounce radicals in the Middle East blindly following in the footsteps of extremist religious leaders.

Last I checked, even “radical” Christians don’t go around killing people simply because someone mocks Jesus, the Pope or any other religious figure and makes them feel “offended.” Comedians would be in a very dire place if such were the case. Even the Westboro Baptist Church is nonviolent, despite the homophobic garbage proliferating from their mouths.

Enough of the political correctness. “Never forget” includes never forgetting who attacked us in the first place and continues to attack us today – radical Islam, an incorrigible enemy of freedom, prosperity and the United States.

Of course, this column – by all accounts of self-righteous, politically-correct fanatics – is a hateful and “Islamophobic” piece. More like Islamorealist. Anybody who even attempts to construe this as my opinion on every single Muslim – newsflash, it’s not – will be taking my words so egregiously out of context that any hope of reasoning with them is very likely futile. While I realize Islamic students and others on campus may find this column offensive, it is asinine to censor speech out of an obsessive fear of offending anyone.

We should not be afraid to call it how it is: radical Islam is a disease of the mind, and the world would be a significantly better place without it.

Justin Kramer ([email protected]) is a junior majoring in nuclear engineering.