Take a break from studying and vote

So this is my last article of the year. It has been interesting, as always, and I want to
leave with a simple message: Go vote.

Today is the Democratic primary, and I have already endorsed Milwaukee
Mayor Tom Barrett as the candidate needed to take on Gov. Scott Walker. Agree
or disagree, just make sure you get out there and vote.

All of this recalling has cost Wisconsin taxpayers millions of dollars, so the least
you can do is take advantage of the opportunity to make your voice heard. Seriously,
if you want to go elect a fake Democrat, do it. If you think former Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk, union-crusader, is the pure and vocal answer Wisconsin needs, get out there and vote for
her.

When the dust settles tomorrow, we will be in the final stretch of this year-long
conversation about whether Gov. Scott Walker is the right answer for Wisconsin. And
while today is a crucial step toward choosing Walker’s opponent, June 5 looms
large as the ultimate event.

I am worried that with the recall election falling a few weeks into the summer, the student voice of the University of Wisconsin may be diluted. So make sure to take the time out of your
busy day of internships, sun tanning or enjoying an adult beverage on the Terrace
and cast your vote on June 5.

The voter ID bill has been stalled in the courts, with an official ruling likely taking up
to a year. So don’t worry about having to learn any new rules; if you have ever voted
before, expect the same. If this is your first time casting a vote, check out the
Government Accountability Board’s website for details on how to register. Again, don’t let it deter
you; it really is not that difficult, I promise.

I thought the vocal response to the crackdown on Mifflin was terrific. I heard from
a variety of people with a variety of opinions giving very reasonable and articulate
stances on what they thought needed to be done. Take that same enthusiasm for
your right to party – or right to stay safe – and apply it the elections. Don’t let the
recall election pass you by because “it doesn’t affect you,” or “your vote doesn’t
matter.” Those just are not true.

The two elections over the next month are an historic turning point for the state of
Wisconsin, one way or the other. We are supposed to be the best and brightest, the
future of this state, and we need to make sure our voice is heard loud and clear in
these elections.

So take a study break today, and what I hope is a laying-by-the-pool break in June, and cast your vote. The results of the elections are going to have a profound impact
on the face of Wisconsin in years to come. We showed once again last Saturday just how hard we can play; now let’s show the state how involved we are in the hard
work, too.

John Waters ([email protected]) is a junior majoring in journalism.