Opinion page should be forum for student voice

In its purest form, the opinion page of a newspaper is a forum where citizens can share ideas, express concerns and promote change. It is a place where readers can find out not just what happened, but how what happened will impact them. It is also a place where all ideas are welcome and readers are occasionally inspired to become contributors.

The opinion page of The Badger Herald does not always attain this ideal, but it is not for lack of trying. Every semester a team of dedicated students take on the role of opinion writer, penning their thoughts for all their peers to see. They do their best to shed light on issues on campus, to call out politicians for bad behavior and to analyze the impact of proposed legislation and University of Wisconsin policies.

Sometimes they are insightful, sometimes they are inciting and sometimes they are incapable of proving a point, but they are all adding to the campus dialogue. Though the writers represent the best of those who applied for the position, they do not represent the whole student body.

Many opinions go unheard on the page, and it has been the struggle of each editor to give voice to those opinions. Every year we look for ways to get more students involved in the page, to encourage dialogue and to solicit ideas. This task is more challenging than it may appear.

Each of you has an opinion on something; many have opinions on lots of things. But most are not compelled to share that opinion with others. But if each student on campus wrote just one opinion column, we would have enough content to fill the page for 95 academic years. No, that is not a misprint.

While we do not expect 40,000-some submissions to find their way to our inbox, we do strive for as much involvement from students as possible. While we strive for total representation, our page can only publish what is sent to us: If you feel your opinion is not being represented, you are the only one that change that.

Next semester the page will again seek out the opinions of many, but will likely be left with the opinions of the dedicated few. Our efforts of inviting guest editorial board members will continue, as will our acceptance of letters to the editor and guest columns from those who have something to say but do not have the time to write on a regular basis. The page will renew its efforts to seek out opinions from student organizations. But to make the page a reflection of the opinions of campus as a whole, we really need your help.

As outgoing Opinion editor, I have had the pleasure of reading the opinions of a diverse swatch of the student body. I have read scathing statements insulting politicians and policies, I have read humble pieces in support of drug reform, education and the environment, I have read valiant attempts at persuasive statements and I have read downright awful columns. But each of those columns was written by someone who felt the need to tell the world what they thought.

We all have issues we care deeply about, we all have news stories that provoke strong feelings in us and we all have something to say. Though not all current events elicit a reaction in us to take action or speak out, the next time a story comes up that gets a reaction from you, I challenge you to write about it. Take 600 to 800 words and tell us how you really feel. There is likely someone on campus who agrees with you, and they’ll thank you for making your voice heard.

The Badger Herald opinion page may not be the ideal forum, but effort from both staff and readers can push it closer to that goal. When you come back next semester, keep [email protected] in your address book. Your fellow students will be ready to hear what you have to say.

Allegra Dimperio ([email protected]) is a junior majoring in journalism.