Cuts to sexual assault service providers negligent

Every two minutes, someone is sexually assaulted in the United States. According to the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network, 213,000 individuals, or roughly 3.5 percent of the population, will be victims of sexual assault each year. To put these statistics in perspective, WisconsinWatch.org reported in 2008 that an estimated 750 rapes or attempted rapes take place each year at the University of Wisconsin alone. On average, that would amount to two rapes or attempted rapes each day on the UW campus. These statistics are staggering to say the least.

The Sexual Assault Victim Services program, a public grant program that provides funding for services to sexual assault victims in the state of Wisconsin, will face a 42.5 percent reduction in government funding in 2012. With nearly half of its funding cut, this program will be forced to reduce the number of services offered. This can only lead to one inevitable outcome – critical programs will be cut, and fewer sexual assault victims will receive the help and services they need.

This radical slash in funding represents negligent legislating on the part of our state representatives, for it demonstrates a failure to recognize what is in the best interest of the people of Wisconsin. Sexual assault is an issue that adversely affects society as a whole. By not coping with it effectively via funding for essential services to help victims and prevent future occurrences, our state representatives are sending a troubling message that sexual assault is not a matter of utmost concern in Wisconsin.

The organization that will ultimately be affected by this action is the Wisconsin Coalition Against Sexual Assault. According to the WCASA’s website, it is Wisconsin’s only statewide coalition solely devoted to ending sexual violence. Its membership is comprised of 46 sexual assault service provider agencies across the state that render aid to victims of sexual assault and their families. Some of the services offered by these agencies include advocacy and counseling services, 24-hour crisis telephone services, professional intervention, prevention education and services for victims with special needs.

The drastic cuts in funding will force SASP agencies across the state to decide which of the critical services they offer can be reduced or eliminated entirely. But how can such a decision be made when all services offered are necessary? This is the difficult question these agencies will face.

These funding cuts will surely affect the UW campus. Of the resources for victims of sexual assault listed on the University Health Services website, several are funded directly by SAVS, including the Rape Crisis Center in Madison, which offers a 24-hour sexual assault hotline as well as ongoing support and victim services, and the Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner program at Meriter Hospital, which provides medical and forensic examinations following sexual assaults.

By slashing funds for SAVS, the state Legislature is sending a clear message to its constituents: Sexual assault is not an issue that merits appropriate funding. The approach of Gov. Scott Walker’s administration to dealing with budget deficits is completely irresponsible. Recent legislation is telling in regard to what this administration values, yet neither the wealthy nor large corporations favored by the administration are going to stop sexual violence. It is time for the state Legislature to face the reality that sexual assault is not going anywhere, and by not providing the services necessary to help victims and prevent it from occurring, they are being nothing short of negligent.

Hannah Sleznikow ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in political science.