Excessive celebration of bin Laden’s death morally reprehensible

The news of Osama bin Laden’s death took us all by surprise. Although he had been the world’s most wanted terrorist since 2001, with a bounty of $25 million on his head, bin Laden kept a low profile. Some even speculated he was already dead. Sunday night’s breaking news that he was killed in a paramilitary attack at a mansion outside Islamabad, Pakistan, and President Barack Obama’s subsequent video address, came as a shock and stirred up a potent mix of emotions.

For those who lost loved ones and those who remember a dark period of national mourning after the events of Sept. 11, 2001, knowing once and for all that the oldest and most simplistic form of justice has been served gives a sense of closure. Gordon Felt, president of Families of Flight 93, said, “It does bring a measure of comfort that the mastermind of the Sept. 11 tragedy and the face of global terror can no longer spread his evil.” Bin Laden’s death is a long-awaited catharsis for the families and friends of those who died in the terrorist attacks. They no longer have to live with the knowledge that the man who was responsible for the death of a loved one walks free, plotting yet another murder.

There were other reactions to the news of bin Laden’s death. On Sunday night a spontaneous crowd around the White House broke out into an impromptu rendition of “The Star-Spangled Banner,” filled with national pride. They also started chanting, “USA,” “God bless America” and “Na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye.” 

There is a fine line between applauding justice served and celebrating a death. Bin Laden was not simply an enemy of the United States – he was an enemy of peace around the world. While his death marks a victory in the war against terrorism and in a way avenges the deaths of those who died on Sept. 11, it is immoral to celebrate any killing, a just revenge, even if it takes place during war. It is illogical to celebrate death as a victory for peace, and it is archaic to celebrate the death of the leader of our enemies and to rejoice in the military might of the United States. This is outright nationalism.

Another difficult question is whether or not we as American citizens have any right to celebrate bin Laden’s death as an American victory. Obama said in his address, “Today’s achievement is a testament to the greatness of our country and the determination of the American people,” but it seems to me the people chanting “USA” outside the White House played very little role in bringing bin Laden to justice. Bin Laden is dead because of the hard work of the anonymous men and women working in intelligence and a group of commandos who carried out the operation. As citizens, we can feel lucky to be protected by them and proud of our armed forces, but to generalize this event as a testament to the greatness of our nation as a whole makes little sense.

To celebrate bin Laden’s death as a victory for America is to lose sight of an opportunity to heal once and for all the wounds of Sept. 11 and move on to a new chapter of national history. No, we will never forget the tragedy of that day, and we shouldn’t. But it is time that we move on. Sept. 11 and the War on Terror have been used again and again to justify far too many political and military causes. As a nation, it is time that we move from sadness to acceptance and from anger at the past to hope for the future. Celebrating bin Laden’s death as a military victory plays no role in this, but only distracts from the nation’s healing process.

Within the past 24 hours, I have seen bin Laden’s death praised as proof the USA can still vanquish all enemies with its military might, put forward as evidence that Obama isn’t soft on terror and celebrated with a capella versions of “Na na na na, hey hey hey.” Let’s not dance on his grave, even if the man was pure evil incarnate; let’s have our catharsis, and move on. For those of you thinking what I’ve said is unpatriotic, or that I am being sympathetic to bin Laden, I want to be clear I am not. I think any jury would have sentenced him to death, and if I were on the jury I would make the same decision. At the same time, I’m frustrated by the people chanting “God Bless America” and waving flags. This isn’t a football game where you cheer for your team when they win. When people die, you don’t cheer for anybody, period

Charles Godfrey ([email protected]) is a freshman with an undecided major.