Madison B-Cycle(s) on right side of road

Picture yourself on the way to class, not walking, but rolling effortlessly down University Avenue on a brand new, publicly owned bicycle. You stop outside the door and rather than awkwardly locking your bike to a tree or streetlamp because the bike rack is an uninviting mess of chains and spokes, you casually replace your ride in an automatic pay-as-you-go bike rental machine. On your way home, you simply swipe a credit card, grab another bike, and ride it to the rental machine nearest your abode–a simple, environmentally friendly way to get from point A to point B.

This is the vision that Madison lawmakers decided to make reality next year. While Gov. Scott Walker was hammering the final nails into the coffin of high-speed rail, the city of Madison was inking the final contract for B-Cycle, with the help of corporate sponsor Trek. The joint project seems to be a great deal for the city of Madison, which will contribute only $100,000, with Trek chipping in an estimated $1 million. B-Cycle will consist of 35 separate kiosks and a total of around 350 bikes, which might be available for use as early as May.

Bike sharing will solve the constant bike overcrowding problem that plagues bike racks all over campus. I’m sure I’m not the only person who has wondered why I biked to class only to park my bike a block away and walk back because apparently all 400 students in my lecture had parked their bikes on the rack. Sure, hardcore bike aficionados will still put U-locks on their fixed-gears, but the silent majority of people who just bike to class as a means of transportation might want to pay by the half hour and save themselves the hassle. Besides, the B-Cycle bikes have a rugged, futuristic look that could make them an appealing fashion statement. 

For those who don’t bike, renting a bike for a few hours on a nice day could be a great way to break free from the campus bubble and get to know the city. It even sounds like a fun, though a little bit cheesy, fall date idea. UW students can only benefit from easy access to green, healthy and affordable transportation.

The steady stream of visitors that passes through Madison year round will also benefit from the bike plan. This means all of the visiting professors, employers and musicians can see for themselves what a vibrant place we live in. Public bikes would allow them to get where they need to go and see some of what the city has to offer on the way. While biking is obviously slower than driving, the 360 degree vision it affords the rider allows for a much fuller sightseeing experience. There is no doubt the novel idea and exhilarating experience of renting a bike in Madison would be a lasting memory for any visitor.

The arrival of bike sharing will make Madison a more bike-friendly place. Madison has been adding bike paths, but they are still scarce, and as those who, like me, have had one or two hair-raising experiences getting to class know, being on two wheels can be frightening when everyone else has four. This is especially true for visitors from other states, or even other countries, who are busy ogling massive campus buildings or the Capitol, and may not have their eyes on the road at all times. In order for this bike-sharing idea to work, the city will need to put in bike lanes for all the new bike commuters. The right to the roads is not just a matter of biker versus driver, us versus them conflict; it’s a matter of safety. If the local government truly prioritizes biking as a form of alternative mode of transportation, these persistent issues of commuter safety will soon be resolved.

The B-Cycle program is a step in the right direction. It is environmentally friendly, healthy, not too expensive, and it is the only way we can pave the way for a future of green transportation. It’s utopian, and yes, maybe just a little bit hippie. Most importantly, though, it sounds like fun, and come springtime, Madison residents can give the shared bikes a whirl and cast a vote for the future of clean transportation.

Charlie Godfrey ([email protected]) is a freshman with an undecided major