When strengthening the state, don’t sacrifice well-being

This past Tuesday, Governor Scott Walker delivered the State of the State address. The 30 minute speech was a candid assessment of the budgetary challenges Wisconsin faces and a vague outline of ‘what must be done’ to solve those budgetary woes. Walker was quick to point out the legislation that has already been passed during the Legislature’s Special Session, and highlighted a recent article he and Senator Jeff Fitzgerald wrote for the Chicago Tribune. In this piece, Walker appealed directly to Illinois corporations, attempting to induce them to relocate to Wisconsin, which, though not currently more favorable to corporations, is on a pro-business trend. And businesses, to paraphrase our oh-so eloquent governor, care only about trends. But what really struck me in the Tribune article, and really in many of Walker’s speeches, was his insistence that, here in Wisconsin, we will solve our $3 billion deficit by “right sizing” government (i.e. cutting programs) and not raising taxes – all whilst maintaining Wisconsin’s high quality of life that entices Illinoisans to “enjoy so many weekends and vacations up here.”

Wisconsin’s high quality of life is due in large part to our commitment to providing social services to our citizens. Under former Gov. Doyle, 98 percent of Wisconsinites had access to health care. That is progressive. That ensures a better quality of life. Walker, however, has announced the creation of the Office of Free Market Health Care, a new agency created to simultaneously design the health insurance exchange required by the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, and subvert the spirit of the law. The exchanges are supposed to create a competitive, regulated market (no, that’s not a contradiction in terms) that allows for greater transparency, consumer information, purchasing power and choice. These exchanges will combat a large challenge to purchasing insurance: finding the right insurance plan, and making sure you are getting a good deal. Under the Affordable Care Act, these exchanges must be established by state governments by 2014. The Office of Free Market Health Care seeks to limit the government’s involvement in this market as much as possible, and allow insurance companies to self-regulate, since laissez-faire has such a great track record, and all.

Thanks to the Affordable Care Act, most of us have not had to start thinking about health insurance yet – we can stay on our parents’ insurance until 26. Students not on their parents’ insurance plans also have easy access to the Student Health Insurance Plan. Combine that with the fact that we college students are generally pretty healthy and consider ourselves to be invincible (especially Lakeshore dwellers, riding high off that impressive victory on Bascom the other day), and health insurance seems a rather far-off consideration. It’s one of those things you’ll think about when you get around to power-walking with a fanny pack, or complaining about the pancakes at Perkins. But in a few years when we’ve joined the professional world, off our parents’ insurance, out of UHS and struggling to pay back student loans and find a job we actually like – that’s when these exchanges are going to be important.

They’re going to be important when you realize it is either prudent or mandatory to have health insurance. Or, because you took too many economics classes, you realize you are helping to lower premiums across the board by pooling risk. As consumers, we need to be able to assess different products, comparing quality, price and reputation. With insurance, it is not as easy as Googling the major brands. The insurance industry is opaque, and I doubt many people actually have the time to figure out all the ins and outs of insurance packages. The exchanges will help to correct the information asymmetry, and help consumers.

But, as voiced by J.B. Van Hollen, the current gubernatorial administration is vehemently opposed to such health care reform. Perhaps the impact will not be all that strongly felt – after all, it will only be continuing the status quo. But to think we were so close to improving things and then backed away at the 11th hour through underhanded tactics, that should sting.

Walker has also singled out Medicaid as antithetical to fiscal ‘frugality’ in the state. It is true that Medicaid is a program in financial straits, and that reforms are needed. However, a gutting of one of LBJ’s most ambitious Great Society reforms would be deleterious to the general social well-being. Wisconsin’s Medicaid program, BadgerCare, and other state programs help myriad Wisconsinites fulfill their medical needs. Wisconsin has led the country in offering extensive health care benefits to a large majority of the population, and that achievement is nothing to be casually tossed aside in the name of ‘frugality.’ Walker frequently invokes the words of the Wisconsin Constitution when arguing to slash programs, but the Constitution also calls upon us to “promote the general welfare.”

Wisconsin is in the middle of an economic blizzard, as is the country. Yet with state unemployment hovering around a painful 7 percent while the national unemployment rate is over 9 percent, we are doing something right. Now is the time to continue to uphold the values that have not only made Wisconsin’s economy strong in the past, but have also secured social benefits and a high quality of life for Wisconsin’s citizens. Economic innovation and governmental reform are always necessary – we do not live in a static society, and must recognize the fast-paced vibrancy of our society. But we must also not forget what we owe to ourselves and our fellow citizens – a decent standard of living, dignity and a chance to pursue happiness.

Elise Swanson ([email protected]) is a sophomore majoring in political science and English.