Obama’s two years notice: the compromise on tax cuts

[media-credit name=’Associated Press’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Obama_Barg[/media-credit]

“I think it’s tempting not to negotiate with hostage-takers, unless the hostage gets harmed.”

When Patty Hearst, granddaughter of newspaper magnate William Randolph Hearst, assumed the role of an urban guerrilla after being kidnapped by the Symbionese Liberation Army, many throughout America were baffled as to why one raised in such luxury would trade in the good life for fatigues and a beret and shoulder the banner of liberating the oppressed.

Supporters of the move identified it as mere convictions, righting the wrongs imposed by an imperialist United States running amok throughout the world. A great many more identified the step as Stockholm Syndrome. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you President Barack “Tania” Obama.

The quote above comes from a recent address by our president, a man ostensibly of strong Democratic convictions, or at least that’s what his stoic mug on the Hope posters would have you believe. Facing mounting pressure from congressional Republicans, Obama has made maneuverings to cut a considerable deal to ensure that the Bush-era tax cuts are maintained for the struggling middle-class.

Call it compromise, call it cowardice, but Obama has finally come to grips with the reality that he’s up against the ropes on nearly every political front.

In what could be a worrying omen of the remainder of the president’s term, the Obama administration has struck a deal with the men and women who will very likely facilitate his ouster in two years time. The Bush-era tax cuts have been extended for two years, adding an estimated $900 billion to the already astronomically large deficit. The deal includes a one year payroll tax cut and a 13-month extension of aid to the long-term unemployed, the maintaining of tax breaks for those earning above $250,000 and considerable cuts to the death, er, estate tax.

And while unemployment benefits are more likely to return to the economy, concessions on taxes for the wealthy and the estate tax are ensuring that the wealthy remain exactly that.

Obama grievously misjudged the impact the stimulus would have on the economy. Democrats grievously misjudged their fearless leader’s ability to enact meaningful legislation prior to getting their asses handed to them in November. Everyone’s drunk on disappointment, and Republicans are taking their chances and copping a feel.

Today’s Republicans are focusing on short-term solutions to myriad issues, and not that anyone could blame them; the results, however small, curry tremendous favor across America. The blinders only come off when the scent of blood from the prospect of evicting Obama is raised. Democrats may have some bigger plans for the future a number of years out, but the thrashing that took place during the midterms combined with grossly ineffective leadership and rendered the whole machine inoperable.

In the end though, this is all we’re going to get. It’s this or nothing. Obama has made the decision to reach out to Republicans in order to maintain what little dignity Democrats can yet provide. He may claim to be acting in the best interest of the country, but by likely sealing his own fate in 2012, Republicans may be inclined to agree with him.

Jake Begun ([email protected]) is a junior majoring in journalism.