Bleach: Learning from past mistakes

The hype began just minutes after Wisconsin defeated FCS opponent Minnesota for the seventh straight time.

Questions about Ohio State, Terrelle Pryor, the loss at the Horseshoe last season, all trumped silly queries about Paul Bunyan’s Axe. Been there, chopped that.

The hype grew exponentially the next day when it was announced GameDay would be coming to Madison.

[Insert giddy school girl sounds from 20-year-old males]

Even Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema, a master of coach-speak and downplaying the significance of potentially epic showdowns, did not bother to hide his excitement for the upcoming contest.

“I think it’s a game for us, and me personally, of tremendous challenge,” Bielema said Saturday. “But it’s all out of respect. It’s not a hatred thing, or out of disrespect. I just really admire what they do. Until we’re able to surpass that and get a ‘W,’ that’s what we have to live with.”

For his career, Bielema is 0-3 against the likes of Ohio State – the only Big Ten team he has never defeated – and is just 1-8 in regular season games against ranked opponents. The last time Wisconsin faced a No. 1 overall team, it was Ohio State in 2007, with the Buckeyes carrying the day 38-17 in Columbus. So calling it a tremendous challenge might even be an understatement.

“I know you’ve got to talk about it and ask about it, but last year is last year,” offensive coordinator Paul Chryst said earlier in the week to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “This year is this year. I don’t think anything that happened last year has any bearing on how you approach this week. I really believe that.”

“What more do you need? You’ve got Ohio State coming in.”.”.”. Who gives a (expletive) about last year? That is the message.”

Despite Chryst’s best wishes, I still think there is something to be gained from looking at last year’s defeat. I know, I know, I am an [expletive].

Turnover Free is the Way to Be

Losing to OSU last season 31-13, the Badgers outgained Ohio State 368 yards to 184 yards. The Buckeyes didn’t crack 100 yards in rushing OR passing.

So what led to an 18-point deficit?

For one, turnovers.

Quarterback Scott Tolzien tossed two interceptions – both of which were returned for touchdowns as he telegrammed the routes – that forced the offense to abandon the run game when down by double-digit points. With the Buckeyes able to tee off on Tolzien and the air attack, they forced the UW signal caller into 18 incompletions and piled on six sacks.

The good news: Tolzien hasn’t thrown an interception in four games, has a 7-to-2 touchdown-to-interception ratio on the season, and the offense as a whole hasn’t lost a fumble since San Jose State. If the Badgers can just keep on doing what they have been doing, they won’t give away points and possessions this time around.

Special Teams a Misnomer

With Ohio State unable to move the ball on offense, the crafty Tressel-coached team found other ways to score.

Ray Small took a kick back 96 yards in the third quarter to put the Buckeyes up 15 points, effectively sealing victory with the Badgers banging their heads against a superb OSU defense.

The bad news: Umm, nothing has changed.

Looking good in the first two games of the season, the UW special teams once again blew up when faced with a BCS opponent in Arizona State. The Sun Devils returned one kick for a score and almost found the end zone a second time before Shelton Johnson took down the ASU returner at the one-yard line with time expiring in the half.

The Badgers were snake-bit once again at Michigan State, when a line drive punt from Brad Nortman was returned by MSU’s Keshawn Martin 74 yards for a touchdown.

Ohio State returner Jaamal Berry ranks second in the conference on kick returns with 28.2 yards per return.

Think Bielema might devote some extra time to coverage units this week?

Clich?, Clich? … but it’s kind of true

Ohio State has a distinct aura of winning, even in games where they are out-gained by 184 yards.

It happened two years ago when Terrelle Pryor scampered 11-yards for the game winning touchdown and it happened last season with the Buckeyes “D” stepping up for two pick-sixes.

Someone, anyone, on the Badgers needs to make plays.

It is comforting at least that Tolzien acknowledges the fact.

“We’re just going to have to play our best game up to this point,” he said. “I think one thing that sticks out in my mind is you hear that great players step up in big games, and we just have to come out and be ready to play. We need to make plays. We know they’re going to make their share of plays and we just need to be able to match that.”