A dime will do little to fix homelessness issues in Madison

This past Tuesday, Stephen Schuh, a 35-year-old vagabond, decided to get liquored up and deplorably reenact a caveman wedding by claiming a young college girl in a way that can only be labeled as scarring. His intentions cannot even be construed as attempts of affection or worship, as he hit his would-be bride after finally releasing her. Worse than the victim’s trauma was the unforgettable nightmare thrust on her fourteen-year-old sister, who was forced to helplessly stand by and witness the assault. Fortunately, bystanders interceded and the suspect was detained by Madison police. This disturbing incident raises pressing questions about the role of the “homeless” in Madison.

I housed the word homeless in quotes because these individuals are usually drifters – here one moment and gone the next. As transient as they are, somehow many seem to gravitate back to crowded sections of State Street and proceed to accomplish nothing. Since transience usually denotes some type of metric progression, what they are really doing is best described as oscillating along the street.

What grinds my gears (more than the phrase “grinds my gears” itself) is the fact they continue to panhandle and waste passers’-by time when multiple resources are available to them. Wisconsin provides services through Access to Independence, Operation Fresh Start and WisPACT; however, it appears that in Madison, the human link designed to coordinate these people with available resources is broken. Do not misunderstand me, there are several legitimate homeless persons, for whom I have a bleeding heart and have even coughed up some spare Obama. These unfortunate people reveal nightmarish stories that soften the heart of even the most irritated among us.

On the other hand, long have I wanted to submit an Onion-esque article entitled, “As rainstorm approaches, all homeless flee to homes” because one notices the systematic and complete exodus from old Peace Park and the current transient lair between State-Sider and Towers. Where do they go? I think it is incumbent upon the city’s administration and Social Services to track down these transients, find where they live and remedy the situation. If they are unemployed and need public assistance, then it should be provided through proper channels and not managed on the backs, and nerves, of Madison’s workers and students. If they are bona-fide homeless (without permanent addresses) and prone to violence, as the attacker of our co-ed was, then they should be on medication and monitored; it irks me that several people described him as a frequent visitor.

With the grand reopening of an ATM in Lisa Link Park, it goes without saying that the poor caveman’s fianc?e and I are not the only ones frustrated by those who mindlessly linger. Madison is definitely trying to push the homeless somewhere else, but by decreasing their go-to safe havens, the lurkers are concentrated into a more formidable contingent.

In order to exit my apartment a few weeks ago, I was forced to witness one homeless man’s display of public urination, and another one characterized by indecency of the highest degree. At least once weekly, I am badgered by Scanner Dan and his profound, yet unwanted, ranting. Of course Dan has become a staple of State Street, and the University itself, but it underscores the sad reality that living off State Street and being heckled by loiterers have become synonymous, occurring concomitantly. I lived in India, the begging capital of the world, for five months and only now, here in Madison, Wisconsin, am I charged with fending off a constant onslaught of money mongers.

What is so disturbing and what the university should take special note of is that, aside from its students in general, as well as the victim who was claimed by an ice-age denizen, a little sister, visiting from home, was involved. No doubt little sis is traumatized and will forever fear and curse the broad street to the Capitol, a usual selling point and Madison’s best recruiting tool. The University does not wish to leave their students vulnerable to forced elopement to Neolithic humanoids; but the very last thing they want is to lose high caliber prospective pupils. Thus, not only were fond memories ruined by this incontinent homeless, but so was the possibility of gaining a worthy applicant longing to follow in big sis’ footsteps. Madison needs to reconsider the role of its homeless, transients and oscillating, in terms of their cost to the quality of life here on State Street.

Dennis O’Reilly ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in English and economics.