Evidence critical in Greek debacle

As of 6 a.m. yesterday morning, when The Badger Herald rolled off the presses, this campus changed.

I’m not arrogant enough to pretend there was anything special about this publication in particular. The same story told in the Capital Times or Wisconsin State Journal or even the enemy paper would have sent the same shockwaves throughout this university.

For the first time since I’ve been here, that stereotype of frat boys as a bunch of date-raping bros has a speck of credence. Which is a shame because most are not. Had this story taken place in College Court, we would be talking about generic everyday criminals, but since it took place on Langdon Street, we are talking about frat criminals. In either case that’s all the perpetrators really are: criminals.

Just as we wouldn’t burn down College Court in the aftermath of such allegations, there is no need condemn Langdon. Reform of the Interfraternity Council may certainly be warranted, but those that will call for a dissolution and disbandment of fraternities formed their opinions long before yesterday morning and will continue to hold them long past the end of this case.

There have been allegations of hazing in the past, most notably against Sigma Phi Epsilon last spring, but others like Sigma Alpha Mu as well. And frats have even been kicked off campus, as Sigma Alpha Epsilon was in 2006. Sigma does not seem to be a good letter. But raucous parties and the occasional bucket of feces or night of sleep deprivation is an established — though not accepted — part of fraternity life. People were hardly shocked that some frats had stepped out of line.

There was even an allegation of rape at Zeta Psi in February of 2007, but that case ran out of steam almost as soon as it started and soon disappeared altogether.

This case is different. Rather than some anonymous speculation, we have a police investigation, a 44-minute transcript and DNA evidence. The victim’s story certainly has strong emotional pull, but even more striking is the conclusion of the rape examination. For the first time since I’ve been at Wisconsin, the question is no longer if or what, but who.

It’s time for everyone who says they care to really prove it. The victim has already done an admirable job telling her story and supporting the police investigation, but she stands alone as a witness.

The first people who must step up are the members of Sigma Chi, as well as non-members who live in the house (the fraternity rents out rooms to the public). Being a member of that fraternity or living at the house right now has to be about the same as marching down the streets of Paris in a Materazzi jersey. These are marked men, and in this whole affair they have lost something as well.

Fortunately, they have the ability to reclaim at least some part of their honor, as well as aid in the investigation. If I lived at 221 Langdon St. I would be marching down to the police station and demanding they take my DNA, short of removing a kidney, for the investigation.

If I am the fraternity president, I am looking at my charter to see if I have the power to force my members to submit DNA samples to police or expel them. Don’t snivel about “pending a full investigation,” that full investigation may result in a subpoena, and you won’t get points toward rebuilding your reputation by simply complying with the law. Take the initiative and show us you really care.

However, this story does not end with a manhunt. There is more. The anonymous third party narrative and mysterious, secret-until-now, roofie story beg the question of whether or not there is a larger trend within the house.

These implied accusations serve no one. If these events are true, then the accusers owe it to themselves and the campus community at large to file police reports, name names and notify university officials. If they aren’t, then the accusers owe it to the victim to shut the hell up. Tossing around potentially false accusations not only defames innocent people but disrespects the victim as well. This very serious crime deserves our full attention, unless the crime is part of a larger problem, in which case an investigation deserves the accuser’s full cooperation.

It goes without saying the victim takes this matter very seriously, but those associated with the case must treat the matter with equal import. Everyone involved has too much to lose by staying quiet.

Joe Labuz ([email protected]) is a junior majoring in biomedical engineering.