Sen. Johnson is puzzling pick to represent U.S. at UN

Republican senator at odds with UN
+
Badger Herald Archives

When thinking of U.S. foreign ambassadors, Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wis., probably doesn’t cross your mind. But, alas, Johnson is going to represent America at the United Nations General Assembly, which started September 13 and lasts through the end of the month.

This is a great honor for Johnson, but I cannot fathom why he would get the nod to represent the entire U.S. at a convention with 193 other foreign leaders. Either one of two scenarios play out. Scenario One: Johnson says nothing, but listens and learns. Scenario two: Johnson actually says something and the entire world realizes what a fool he is.

Hopefully the first scenario occurs. If Johnson gets reelected, he’ll need a better understanding of foreign relations, especially since he’s the chair of the committee on Homeland Security.

But if scenario two does occur, representatives at the General Assembly better brace themselves for some discord.

A potential issue for Johnson is climate change. He has been prone to speak in unintelligible sentences. When speaking on WRJN 1400 Radio in Wisconsin, he put environmentalists on the same level as Kim Jong-un. The UN is pretty keen on protecting the environment. In fact, in their sustainable development plan, Agenda 21, there are 193 pages dedicated to minimizing the impact of new business on the atmosphere. Their basic conclusion, and the conclusion shared by the world, is that global warming is real. Johnson disagrees.

Believe it or not, you can be American and Muslim at the same time

Johnson and the UN also hold discordant views on armed combat. The UN wants to limit and prevent armed conflict. Johnson, meanwhile, has attacked his Democratic challenger Russ Feingold for voting against deploying the military 11 times. This is a pretty major rift between the world’s view and Johnson’s.

Additionally, it’s unclear how well versed Johnson will be on foreign relations covered in the UN convention. Whenever Johnson is asked about foreign relations, he usually spouts off something related to combating terrorism. That’s a good way to pander to a fearful voting public, but it doesn’t answer how he will address certain items in the General Assembly agenda, such as evaluating democracy and human rights in Haiti, consequences of the Iraqi occupation, aggression against Kuwait or aid to Africa.

Though the selection of Johnson for this event is puzzling, it can make him a better senator and gain a better worldview — something he clearly lacks right now. I’m not sure if Johnson will cause a stir or rift in UN procedures, but I do know for a fact he will learn and hopefully gain new perspectives on international and domestic issues.

Aaron Reilly ([email protected]) is a sophomore majoring in social work and economics.