Evidence of Zebra mussels in Lake Mendota shows need for more conservation efforts

Appearance of species pose serious threat to swimmers, overall ecology of lakes
Joey Rueteman
Ducks might be here year round soon

As a student and resident of Madison, I will be the first say we are spoiled when it comes to our natural resources. From summer days spent gazing at Lake Mendota from the Terrace to scenic bike rides to Picnic Point, there is not much more one could want in terms of outdoor activities. And as a student and resident here, I believe it is on us to protect these natural resources.

Sadly, a recent discovery by a University of Wisconsin zoology class revealed that we could still be putting more effort into conserving the outdoor gems this city holds.

While studying Lake Mendota, students discovered zebra mussels, a species not previously thought to have made its way into the chain of lakes surrounding Madison.

Though the population is currently relatively small, the addition of this particular species poses a serious threat not only to swimmers and boat owners, but to the native species and the overall ecology of the lakes.

This invasive species competes directly with a native mussel species, upsetting the lakes’ natural balance. They are known to cause injury when stepped on, which means deciding between cutting our feet or wearing water shoes when spending a day on the lake.

I, for one, am definitely not looking forward to deciding between cutting my feet or wearing water shoes.

Zebra mussels also grow on hard surfaces such as boats, piers or in pipes. This might seem like no big deal, but the issue affects more than just boaters and home owners on the lakes. If mussels grow in pipes, such as the pipe leading from one of Madison’s power plants on Lake Monona, they could cause serious problems and cost thousands of dollars to repair.

Power plants, such as Blount Generating Station on Lake Monona, use the lakes as a cooling system. Zebra mussels often grow in and around these pipelines and threaten to clog them if populations become too dense.

Obviously this isn’t the end of the world for those of us who enjoy using Madison’s surrounding lakes, but it does offer a chance for reflection on the amount of time and thought we put into ensuring that Madison offers the same recreational opportunities for future generations of students and residents.

When it comes to conservation, every little effort counts.

The induction of zebra mussels is a prime example of this. At every official boat launch on the Madison chain of lakes there is a sign warning about the dangers of invasive aquatic life and asking boaters to inspect their trailers and boats for the unwanted species.

It’s a tedious task that takes about five minutes to complete when it’s done correctly. If you ask me, that’s a small price to pay with for the amount of enjoyment we get from our lakes. But, as we have learned, all it takes is one careless person to spoil the fun for everybody.

This is why I ask the following of anybody who chooses to take advantage of Madison’s abundance of natural resources: Make sure you are treating our natural resources with the respect they deserve.

Every action counts, whether that means picking up that red solo cup from the Lakeshore Path on your way to class, or checking your boat and trailer for invasive species before spending the day on Mendota. We hold ourselves to high academic, athletic and social standards in Madison. We should be doing the exact same thing when it comes to conservation.

In essence, we should should expect more of ourselves as Badgers. It’s time to step up.

Sam Vander Plas ([email protected]) is a sophomore majoring in communications.