College Republicans: Make your voice heard on campus

Herald File Photo

When I decided to attend the University of Wisconsin, I cherished my admittance as an opportunity to attain a great education. Little did I know it would also provide me with an opportunity to not only be a conservative on campus, but a Republican who can make a difference.

As a freshman roaming around the Kohl Center, the overwhelming atmosphere of the student organization fair smothering me, I sought out one table: College Republicans. I had heard about College Republicans from other schools and other states, and how they’re usually smaller organizations that are severely underrepresented on campus. I learned at UW, what Republicans lack in numbers they make up for with strong voices.

This school year was monumental for College Republicans because we truly established a prominent conservative voice on campus. The beginning of the fall was spent vigorously campaigning for Gov. Scott Walker’s re-election, with a great amount of time spent volunteering, making phone calls and knocking on doors. We enjoyed a night of celebration after our governor was re-elected for the third time.

As second semester progressed, we continued to support our governor and advocate for our own conservative beliefs especially when faced with extreme and occasionally inappropriate opposition, particularly towards the governor’s proposed budget cuts to the UW System. We ended the year with our Women for Walker event, a dinner held at the executive residence to celebrate conservative women in politics. We also had an informative debate with College Democrats on issues including right-to-work and the proposed budget cuts to the UW System.

To me, College Republicans started as an opportunity to participate and continue to assert my conservative ideals, but it opened the door to many more opportunities. As a freshman, I was able to campaign for our great governor, get an internship, meet influential and prominent figures in government and politics and make amazing friends who share my conservative values.

How can one student organization achieve so much? We are leaders. My fellow College Republicans are role models to conservatives everywhere, because they are courageous leaders who confidently defend their beliefs even against an overwhelming majority on campus.

This year, great student leaders have served College Republicans. We will have a lot to live up to next year. But here in Madison each and every College Republican is a leader. In 2016, College Republicans will preserve and grow conservative ideals, making sure Republicans on campus know they are not alone so freshmen like me are more confident in calling this university their home.

The keys to politics are conflict and compromise. We often hear from legislators that it’s best to get involved in local government now. In the upcoming year College Republicans will continue to bring together people with different backgrounds to collaborate ideas and participate at this university. For many students, Madison was not originally their home, and they are not familiar with the local Dane County government. College Republicans will keep providing students with the perfect opportunity to become informed and apply their conservative ideals to relevant, current issues, while also actively participating in government on campus, and understanding the policies that affect them as students.

This organization has provided me with many opportunities to grow, as it grows itself. In 2016, College Republicans will continue to assert our conservative voice on campus, support our governor in his decisions to limit government overreach while holding it accountable and to unite conservatives of different backgrounds and give them confidence to make UW their home.

Emelia Rohl ([email protected]) is a freshman majoring in communication arts.

Read the College Democrats’ Year in Review:

https://badgerherald.com/opinion/2015/05/06/college-democrats-work-together-to-protect-those-in-need/