Moffitt puts happiness, health before football

The human refrigerators, the Goliaths of the goal line, the big uglies up front — the University of Wisconsin’s offensive line is a force to be reckoned with. They pancake, rock and rattle opponents for the love of a game they call football.

Recently ex-Badger offensive lineman John Moffitt, a former Seattle Seahawk and Denver Bronco, began questioning his love for the game and retired from the NFL midway through the current season. Many will call him a quitter for throwing away an opportunity that most only dream about, but this is a false accusation — Moffitt is no quitter. He just knows what he wants, and instead of doing what is expected of him, he is trying to live his life outside of football. For that, I respect him.

Growing up, I had a tremendous love for basketball. I dreamed about it, lived it, breathed it and hoped one day I would be able to play in the NBA. As I became aware of how hard it was to make it into NBA, I realized that my dream would not come true unless I increased my vertical by 20 inches (which I’m still working on). That did not cause my love for the game to fade. That happened in high school.

In high school, I had a coach who beat every ounce of love I had for basketball out of me. He made it seem like a chore and not just a game. I figured I could enjoy my time better somewhere else, rather than spending day after day on the court for hours, hating every minute of it. So I did not try out for the team my senior year.

Many people thought I was lazy or a quitter, but I was more worn out than anything. I also started to realize my identity was much more than being a basketball player. I was able to pursue new things and discover other ways to better use my time — writing, for example.

Although the comparison between high school basketball and the NFL only goes so far, I can see where Moffitt is coming from. He obviously has the talent to contribute to an NFL team, but there is no use in doing something that makes you unhappy.

Looking at the NFL like any other job, I think it is easy to understand why Moffitt stopped playing football. If you were working a dead-end job that gives nothing back, then why would you stay? You would probably leave for a better opportunity, and that is exactly what Moffitt is doing. He wants to be known as something other than a football player; he wants to have his health into old age. Mostly, he just wants to be himself.

At 27 years of age and with $1.5 million in his bank account from two and a half years in the NFL, Moffitt is young enough to start a new career and is in good shape financially. He also looks to get into better shape physically, now that he does not have to maintain his 300-plus pound NFL guard body frame.

By retiring from the NFL, Moffitt leaves $312,000 in salary on the table this season and $700,000 next season, but he will regain his happiness and keep his health. That’s priceless.

Hayes Cascia ([email protected]is a junior majoring in marketing.