Despite lack of services on Lakeshore, UHS provides healthcare at incredible value

This letter is response to the Nov. 4 column, “Offering minimal services, UHS Lakeshore clinic provides little convenience to sick students.” In the past month, I also began to feel ill, and decided to go to the Lakeshore Clinic to figure out what was going on. I do not live in the Lakeshore dorms, but I decided the walk wasn’t too horrible, and I needed to see a doctor sooner rather than later. I also had severe coughing fits and an overall inability to breathe.

While at the clinic, I waited for all of five minutes before seeing a doctor — which was wonderful, considering the normal 20 minute wait I would have had back home, even with an appointment. The doctor was polite, explained everything appropriately (i.e., without being condescending) and also referred me for blood work and a chest X-ray.

Indeed, the Lakeshore Clinic does not have these facilities. However, I would like to point out that many, many UHS services are free. For my chest X-ray, I paid exactly $0. At home, I would have been billed around $200. In my mind, having to walk about 20 minutes is much more worth my time than paying a $200 fee. Blood work also can be pretty pricey — anywhere from $15 to $250 (depending on insurance and the types of tests).

The list of services UHS offers, free of charge to UW students, is huge compared to the cost. Acupuncture, addiction counseling, allergy shots, condoms, contraceptives, eating disorder services, crisis intervention services, counseling, emergency contraception, flu shots, HIV testing, injury/illness diagnosis, mental health counseling, nutritional support, pap tests, physical exams, sexual health services, sports medicine, STI testing, tuberculosis testing and the women’s health clinic are all free. They are all paid for through tuition and segregated fees. Now, I realize that all of us do pay for tuition and pay our segregated fees, but the fees we pay are much less than the cost of these treatments.

Additionally, the pharmacy offers student discounts, further reducing the costs you may face. Antibiotics aren’t often cheap, but UHS, in my experience, will work with you to reduce any costs you face, and to make your experience with them better.

When I went to the Lakeshore Clinic, my X-ray and blood work orders were in by the time I got to the main clinic. I only waited an hour to get my prescription order, and then had to wait about 5 minutes for the pharmacy to fill it. All in all, I spent roughly two hours seeing doctors. That’s pretty fast, in my opinion, and I spent $10 to get that prescription — it could have been free, as the pharmacist offered to call up my insurance for me as I didn’t have the card on me and by this point had lost my voice entirely.

I also realize that a (free) 20 minute bus ride (I walked) may have been a slight inconvenience. Some days are indeed busier than others. However, that bus ride is also free for students (again, through segregated fees). Also, the equipment and space for an X-ray is extremely expensive, and that’s just the machine. Building in more rooms, more digital equipment and then hiring another technician? The price of having all these services in two places, when the services are already offered less than half an hour away (by walking), is ridiculous — especially when these services are offered to students free of charge.

We pay segregated fees for a reason — and honestly, I would rather pay my $565/semester segregated fees than pay at least double that if a more severe injury or illness occurs.

Katrina Punzel ([email protected]is a water resource management M.S. candidate.