The Freshman 15: make your Wisconsin Experience memorable

As a student who is completely new to the University of Wisconsin, I have to admit that I was really taken in by the whole glamorous, exhilarating concept of the “Wisconsin Experience.” After hearing the speech about the unique opportunities UW students have at Student Orientation, Advising and Registration and receiving countless emails regarding it, I was sold. Feeling bolstered and purpose-driven, I dived headfirst into the 2013-2014 school year.

For those of you who don’t know what the Wisconsin Experience is, the following is a definition that has been provided by UW: The Wisconsin Experience refers to “what’s unique about getting a degree from UW Madison – together, we create and apply learning inside and outside the classroom to make the world a better place.” Some different opportunities we as UW students have include studying abroad, the ability to join student organizations, access to multicultural opportunities and academic and career advising, just to name a few.

I know some demented individuals think that “Wisconsin Experience” is a label for something that other institutions of higher learning recognize as a natural process for their students and feel that this whole “Wisconsin Experience” is being oversold. However, for the rest of us who are looking forward to extensively embracing our opportunities here, I have compiled a list of 15 things that will make our individual Wisconsin experiences more fulfilling.

1. New friends. Seems pretty obvious, right? Unfortunately, I know way too many people who seem to view college only as a continuation of high school. They room with their best friends from high school, they go out with their high school clique and they refuse to interact with their new peers in favor of spending a fifth, sixth or seventh year with the same people they met post-middle school. College is an opportunity to create lifelong friendships with strangers — do so.
  2. A love for Ramen (or any other dining hall-meal substitute). After eating at dining halls two to three meals per day, seven days per week, one is bound to get sick of UW food (but we must acknowledge the importance of eating three square meals a day and its positive impact on our academics). Find a backup! Ramen is cheap, easy to store, easy to heat and frankly delicious. Just ignore the sodium content.
  3. A six pack (or at least a skinny pack). UW has amazing workout facilities on campus. Providing that alcohol consumption remains in-check, abs are a definite possibility. A healthy body leads to a healthy mind!
  4. A good work ethic. Some students tend to forget that college is truly about preparing oneself for the future. Studying and schoolwork should be high priorities, especially considering constant socialization and intoxication will only serve to earn you a reputation, not a diploma.
  5. Exposure to multicultural activities. I am from a small, relatively homogenous community, so it has been quite a shock experiencing the multiplicity Madison has to offer. While this type of experience is relatively unavoidable, you also have the opportunity to join any of our diverse student organizations and gain a better understanding of the cultures of the world.
  6. Tolerance. For an entire year, about half of us will be living in dorms 12 feet by 12 feet (or smaller) with a roommate trying not to kill one another. Talk about an invaluable lesson!
  7. A reliable source of income. Want to go off-campus to eat tonight but can’t afford it? It seems like having a social life often depends on one’s employment status. And remember, you can’t keep borrowing from mom and dad. In addition, work experience will only heighten your Wisconsin Experience; you’ll receive a number of skills that you couldn’t derive from mere classroom learning (example: how to make the perfect chai tea latte).
  8. A heightened appreciation for your parents. College really has a way of putting the past 18-ish years of your life into perspective. My parents did laundry, cooked and cleaned, basically allowing me to live under their roof without earning my keep at all. Not only do I have to pay for housing here, but I also have a food bill plus laundry. Definitely a culture shock!
  9. A glimpse of the real world. I mentioned how we all have added personal responsibilities now that we no longer live at home full time, but that’s obviously not all that has changed as we transitioned to college. This is the first look, for many of us, at what being an adult truly means – especially in regards to time management and being personally accountable for decisions we make.
  10. Extensive knowledge of the Greek alphabet. Even if you haven’t rushed, you will definitely hear this a lot: alpha, beta, gamma…
  11. Knowledge of who you are. I have heard from so many people that they truly found themselves in college. We should all embark on that journey towards self-knowledge.
  12. A better understanding of football. Because this sport is an integral part of UW culture, it’s necessary for students to at the least familiarize themselves with the game … or at least own red Wisconsin apparel.
  13. A greater sense of community. We will all develop a shared Badger identity that will stay with us forever!
  14. Opportunities to get involved. There are so many organizations and activities to get involved with on campus that generally don’t have prerequisites. Now is the time to try new things!
  15. A great education.

Although the concept of the Wisconsin Experience may seem a little cheesy, we students have undeniable opportunities. The secret is to take advantage of these occasions to help enrich our college involvement.

Briana Reilly ([email protected]is a freshman intending to major in journalism and international studies.