Soglin’s policies puzzle, perplex

I know I wrote on Mayor Paul Soglin last week, but this guy has had a busy couple of days. I like it when politicians do things I like. I begrudgingly accept when they do things I don’t like. But right now, I can’t even figure out Soglin’s strategy.

Last week, I was puzzled over the temper tantrum Soglin threw when he found out Dane County Executive Joe Parisi was trying to pull a fast one on him and build a homeless shelter. I was also confounded about Soglin’s apparent desire to bus the homeless out of our community.

This week, I’m befuddled by the 2.2 percent tax increase Soglin wants to levy on Madison residents. Even tough property values have dropped this year, the normal tax increase per annum is usually around 3 or 4 percent, The Daily Page reports.

I’m also surprised that Soglin wants to limit property tax increases, yet is making drastic cuts in other areas. As you’ve probably heard, the Overture Foundation was planning an ambitious year, and expected the city to allot them $2 million, as they had been previously promised. Instead, Soglin low-balled them and proposed a $850,000 budget. The Wisconsin State Journal reports, “It’s actually quite devastating to have that kind of a difference- a 60 percent reduction,” Overture President Ted DeDee said.

Another thing that confuses me is Soglin’s increase for the bus system. Riders will have to pay 25 cents more on adult fares, and the rate for disabled senior passes would increase 50 percent. Soglin and the media paint the fare hike as necessary to bring bus service to the Owl Creek neighborhood. Yet, former mayor Dave Cieslewicz pointed out  “the cost next year will be about $63,000 while the fare increase will produce well over $600,000. Moreover, Soglin left $384,000 in levy authority on the table. In other words, he could have easily added service to Owl Creek without raising fares.” 

And then there’s the death by 1,000 cuts – literally, cuts to the services we really enjoy. The Daily Page reports, “The mayor’s budget … calls for closing nine city ice rinks. … He would cut lifeguards at seven beaches. …[and] He’s hiking ambulance fees from $600 to $900 for residents and up to $1,000 for non-residents.” I mean I know we’re balancing a budget here, but damn, son. I like being saved when I’m drowning and I’d already take a taxi to the hospital because of ambulance costs.

All this is even more bewildering to me when members of city council suggested so many alternative places for cuts. Ald. Bridget Maniaci, District 2, suggested cutting the $50,000 allotted for a promotional video. Soglin is also proposing to spend $150,000 on a study to think about installing a bio-digestor. Like these, I’m sure there are similar non-essentials that could be used to trim the fat.

If I had to guess, I’d say Soglin wants to keep taxes low in case of a re-election bid, but doesn’t think people will remember all the other little cuts he made to keep it that way. But as I said, I’m not really sure. Your guess is as good as mine. I’m sure going to miss those ice rinks, though.

Taylor Nye ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in biology, archaeology and Latin American studies.