Farewell, Opinion Section

As Ryan said in his column, I’m becoming managing editor next semester. So this farewell isn’t a farewell like others on the page today. I’m not graduating, and I’m not done writing columns. Well, not really. I intend to pressure Reggie to let me off writing as much as possible next year. Sorry, Reg.

I am, however, leaving the opinion section, and to me, this is a really big deal. For two reasons especially: 1) This year, the section has become my everything, taken up all spare moments of my time and is usually what I’m thinking about most of the other time. 2) It’s amazing to think that the road I took to where I am now has been a little unconventional, but extremely fulfilling.

I started as an opinion writer the second semester of my freshman year. I decided to do opinion because it looked like I had less competition to be let in. I have always struggled to be an opinion writer because it’s hard for me to form a clearly-defined opinion on politics. I really do like to weigh the merits of both sides. It showed. Out of the whole fall semester, I only got four pieces published, even though I wrote every week.

I almost quit my sophomore year. Twice. I wasn’t actually even hired as opinion content editor. I applied for the position and got turned down. Then on a day that literally changed my life, about a week before school started, I got a call from an unfamiliar Minnesota area code. “This is Signe Brewster from the Badger Herald,” the voice on the other end said. “Are you still interested in the editor position? It’s suddenly opened up.”

Long story short: This year working in the opinion section has been of the most rewarding experiences I’ve ever had. What I’m really trying to say is this: Anyone can be a part of The Badger Herald, and you never know where getting involved will take you. The opinion section is a forum for all the voices of this campus, including yours. Whether you’re a Greek or a grad student, a conservative or a liberal, we want to hear what you have to say. No matter where you fall on the political spectrum or what is important to you, use the opinion page to make yourself heard. We rarely receive a piece that isn’t worth publishing.

Taylor Nye ([email protected]) is a junior majoring in archaeology, evolutionary biology and Latin American studies.