Attack on research

In 1998, University of Wisconsin scientist James Thomson derived the first human embryonic stem cell line, leading to a list of potential benefits to human health that is so large we have just begun to grasp it. While in Wisconsin the scientific value of stem cell research has outweighed the religious and moral concerns some associate with their use, legislation recently proposed in the Wisconsin Legislature unnecessarily attempts to tip the scales.

If passed, the bill would prohibit a person from knowingly providing, receiving or using fetal tissues, cells, organs or other parts obtained from induced abortions. Put simply, it would end research involving cells from aborted fetuses and do tremendous harm to UW’s standing as an international leader in stem cell research.

Wisconsin researchers using the fetal tissues banned in the bill are currently studying cancer, heart disease, spinal cord injuries, pregnancy complications and Parkinson’s disease. Many experiments are in the clinical study phase, meaning years, if not decades, of research have gone into them. While only eight Wisconsin researchers are reportedly using fetal tissue at the moment, their work has the potential to be profoundly lifesaving. Passing this bill would force them to either abandon their research or move to another state, both disastrous outcomes.

Legislation and regulation of stem cell research have been crafted with ethics in mind. While some people are morally opposed to abortion, ending the use of “fetal body parts” will do nothing to end abortion. Instead, it will destroy a way to do enormous good with aborted fetuses.

Researchers in Wisconsin are legally and responsibly using cells donated to science. While lawmakers should take moral dilemmas into consideration when weighing legislation, the possibilities associated with stem cell research are so great that this bill must be considered an unacceptable attack on research and UW.