Johnson running scared over debates

Debates are, without question, the most important part of the electoral process. For the electorate, it’s the one equal opportunity we have to hear the candidates’ positions on the most crucial issues. For the candidates, it’s the only situation in which they are forced to get off the stump and speak to the electorate like we have at least a minimal amount of intelligence.

On Tuesday, Ron Johnson and Russ Feingold, as expected, were selected as the Senate nominees for the Republican and Democratic parties, respectfully.

Feingold, the darling of liberals who is running for his fourth term in the Senate, had previously committed to doing six debates. On Wednesday, Johnson accepted an invitation to three debates.

The Democratic Party of Wisconsin put out a statement Wednesday claiming Johnson has been continuously dodging debates, in both the primary and general elections.

“Ron Johnson owes it to the people of Wisconsin to stop hiding behind his $4 million ad campaign and have a debate on the issues that matter to the voters,” Democratic Party of Wisconsin Chair Mike Tate said in the statement.

And it sounds like Tate is right. Johnson’s main opponent in the Republican primary was Dave Westlake, who told WISN in Milwaukee that Johnson turned down 12 different opportunities to debate Westlake, something the Watertown businessman called “unfair to the people of this state.”

Now, even with Feingold calling for six debates, Johnson is insisting on three, with his campaign saying in a statement that “in addition to debating Senator Feingold, Johnson will continue to travel around the state of Wisconsin to listen to and speak directly with the voters of Wisconsin.”

In other words, Johnson wants to stay on the stump as much as possible and not get too deep into the issues with Feingold. He’s doing what your typical political-newcomer-multimillionaire Republican does best – tear down the incumbent through vague and misleading ad campaigns and hope that’s enough to send you to Washington.

What is perhaps most interesting, however, about the debates Johnson has agreed to, is the last one Feingold wanted – on Oct. 22, here in Madison, to be sponsored by We the People/Wisconsin (http://host.madison.com/fact-finder/). This is a multi-media organization consisting of the Wisconsin State Journal, Wisconsin Public Television and others. Together, their aim is to expose false or unsubstantiated advertisements or statements made by candidates in Wisconsin.

Johnson has said some pretty absurd things, even getting a shoutout from Jon Stewart, who called the Oshkosh businessman someone who thinks “global warming is caused by sunspots and toaster ovens,” after a Johnson statement in which he said climate change is caused by sunspots.

Russ Feingold, though liberal, has the respect of many conservatives, earned through years of hard work and sticking true to his beliefs. If Ron Johnson wants to win and enjoy similar respect of the state’s liberals, he has to stop hiding behind advertisements and stump speeches and start answering the tough questions.

I look forward to watching these two men debate, because I have a feeling the winner of the debates will end up on top come Nov. 2.

Kevin Bargnes ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in journalism and history.

DATES JOHNSON HAS AGREED TO

Oct. 1 Milwaukee

Oct. 11 Wausau

Oct. 22 Milwaukee

DATES FEINGOLD WANTS

Sept. 19 Eau Claire

Oct. 1 Milwaukee

Oct. 8 Milwaukee

Oct. 11 Wausau

Oct. 18 Oshkosh

Oct. 22 Madison