Archive: UW’s excuses inexcusable

As part of the Badger Herald’s fortieth anniversary, we are periodically running classic editorial board statements from our long history as UW’s only independent student newspaper. Here we present an editorial from Thursday, Sep. 13, 2001, where the editorial board harshly criticized university administrators for not canceling classes the afternoon of the terrorist attacks in New York, Washington, D.C. and Pennsylvania. Significantly, the board noted that “In light of this week’s tragedy and the relative insignificance of student government, we are not publishing the ‘Seg Fee Abuse of the Week.'”

Following Tuesday’s disaster, UW chancellor John Wiley, stranded in California, wrote an e-mail to every student instructing each of us to attend class.

“At present there is no reason to believe that the university community is at risk,” Wiley wrote. “Classes and other regular events are proceeding as scheduled.”

We, along with many other students, were outraged at the presumptiveness and self-centeredness of the university’s action. While irreparable damage was done by the disrespect shown by the university to those of us who, while not physically harmed, were emotionally and mentally devastated, we suggested the university begin to make amends by offering an apology.

Instead we received excuse after excuse attempting to deflect criticism while simultaneously worsening the damage done by Tuesday’s insensitivity.

Gary Sandefur, the interim provost, said late Tuesday, “We remained open primarily because we thought it was better to have our facilities and services to be open so our students had the opportunity to be around other people to talk about these terrible and tragic events.”

This was echoed by University Communications: “We felt it was more beneficial for students to go on with business as usual and if need be talk in class rather than sit in dorm rooms by themselves.”

To rely on so shallow a criteria as physical safety was bad enough; we are thankful the student body was safe here in the Midwest.

But attempting to suggest the university’s actions were intended to help students is nothing short of disgusting.

Tuesday, it appeared the university did not care one bit how students cope with Tuesday’s events. If they truly did, classes would have been cancelled and replaced by group discussions led by trained counselors.

Or at the very least, professors would have been instructed to forsake the syllabus and discuss Tuesday’s tragedy.

As it was, most professors expected students to act as if nothing happened, discuss Shakespeare and the fall of Rome, and do their homework.

Furthermore, the fact the university first rationalized not canceling classes by referring to the safety factor makes the “student benefit” excuse appear to be cover-up designed to shield the administration from angry students and parents.

We have long suspected the UW administration of being out of touch with the student body.

Unfortunately, the problem appears to be much worse. While we hope the reality is different, yesterday’s feeble attempt at self-preservation suggests the administration simply did not care.