Wisconsin gun control in sore need of reform

Recently, gun control has moved to the forefront of Wisconsin politics, with various aspects of the issue being argued. On May 18, a Lacrosse-area picnic was held to promote the open carrying of guns in public.

Primarily, this picnic was held in response to efforts by Wisconsin lawmaker Leon Young to craft legislation that would make it illegal to carry a gun openly. Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen released an opinion around the same time as Young’s push, stating that simply carrying a gun in public does not necessarily constitute a crime.

These events, combined with the Department of Natural Resources’ new list restricting the types of guns deemed legal for hunting purposes, place gun control issues in a very controversial state.

Unfortunately, the supposed controversy surrounding gun control has led to Wisconsin having some of the most disgracefully lax gun laws in the country. Thus, it is not surprising that Milwaukee is one of the top ten most violent cities in the United States, with 5,289 cases of violent crime in 2007.

In Wisconsin, no permits are required for the owning or carrying of handguns, rifles or shotguns. Additionally, the person purchasing the firearm must pay an $8 background check fee, which Gov. Jim Doyle has raised to $30. Although the additional $22 fee is apparently “ridiculous,” it doesn’t go nearly far enough. The fee should be dramatically increased and put towards the use of more thorough background checks.

Yet by far the most infuriating aspect of the Wisconsin gun laws is the lack of restrictions on wholesale sellers and gun shows. By law, wholesale retail providers and gun shows – as well as antique sellers – are not required to perform any kind of background check. Even more outrageous, the mandatory waiting period for purchasing a firearm is removed in both of these cases.

Gun shows and wholesale retail sellers are two of the main outlets for criminals to obtain guns. With the lack of restrictions here in Wisconsin, it’s easy for a criminal to purchase a gun. Our own laws continue to emulate the violence that plagues our state.

Yet relatively simple measures could be embraced in order to improve the safety of our state. Background checks must absolutely be required for all gun purchases within Wisconsin. In order to do this, guns being sold wholesale, at gun shows or even online would require a qualified seller who would enforce essential legal policy. With over 1,600 qualified sellers here in Wisconsin, there is no reason these transactions should be performed without them.

Wisconsin lawmakers should also move toward the licensing of rifles, shotguns, and handguns. Countless of other states have seen dramatic progress in lowering crime through use of these licensing systems, as well as a great decrease in the number of guns falling into the hands of criminals.

As for Van Hollen’s opinion regarding open carry in Wisconsin, he is totally correct; it is not inherently illegal to carry a gun holstered in public. Yet, the obvious question of “why?” must be raised. Why would it ever be necessary for the average person to carry a gun with them in public?

The days of the Wild West are over, even if the gun loving population of Wisconsin refuses to accept it. Today, carrying a gun on your belt really only serves two purposes: it is threatening and alarming to other unarmed people and it attempts to create some semblance of individual power all too prevalent in our violent society. Thus, it is unnecessary and even dangerous for Wisconsin to allow the open carrying of firearms in public.

In the days where militias are known by names like Bloods and Crips and civilian gun use primarily increases the amount of innocent death during violent crimes, guns have become little more than outdated representations of human kind’s violent nature. Wisconsin needs to reform its gun control laws before violent crime becomes permanently associated with the state itself.

Dan Rose ([email protected]) is a sophomore majoring in journalism and pre-med.