Specialized teachers key to math and science learning

For most Wisconsinites, the subjects of math and science are an all-or-nothing proposition. There are the “nerds” who love these subjects and go on to a future of hating their lives, and then there are “normal people” who fear the word mathematics but live otherwise happy lives. Calculus and the average student probably will not sing Kumbaya together any time soon, but non-nerd ‘Sconnies can bridge their partisan divide with math and science.

Several Wisconsin legislators are attempting to address this divide by introducing SB-175, which creates an easier route for qualified individuals with degrees in math and science to become teachers in those subjects. The proposed bill helps college graduates in math and the sciences avoid annoying pre-acceptance requirements that force them to take remedial courses before they can enter an education-training program.

Although the bill does not earn an A+ by not offering salaries competitive with those offered by other industry jobs would, it is still worthy of a solid B.

Usually politicians’ motivation for recruiting more math and science teachers is the belief America sucks at these subjects and is not going to be able to compete with the brainiacs produced by other countries. America’s elite nerds will always do their thing, but it is everyone else who dislikes math that is the concern.

Getting these students to at least be on speaking terms with math and science is very important for America’s future.

Recruiting more math and science teachers who hold degrees in their fields can be an effective step in making those subjects more palatable to Wisconsin’s students. Admittedly, holding a degree in a subject does not automatically make one qualified to educate students. However, the average age of applicants to similar programs in other states is nearly 40, and thus the teachers produced by the program will bring a blend of enthusiasm and real-world experience that would help them make math and science more relevant to students’ lives.

The esteemed reader of this fine publication is probably thinking “I’m majoring in X, so I don’t need math,” or “It’s just a worthless bunch of equations.” One can blame students for having such thoughts, but much of the blame lies with the education these students have received prior to arriving at UW.

If they had been educated by qualified products of a program such as the one proposed by SB-175, then there is a much better chance their teachers’ experience and enthusiasm would have translated into lessons that made math and science approachable, relevant and even enjoyable.

“Whoa whoa,” the astute reader is now thinking, “Math … relevant? Enjoyable? Bwwwwwhat?” This may not be the case for many students after an education based on endless worksheets, but it absolutely should be a goal that Wisconsin’s educational system is striving for.

Math and science both teach students a way of approaching problems and solving them in a logical fashion. Developing this analytical skill set is important for all students whether they be studying Hemmingway or hydrology, and frankly, it also makes them more effective members of society.

A healthier relationship with math and science will also equal a benefit for Badgers who choose to pursue higher education. With a super-competitive job market, college students are constantly striving to make themselves wanted by potential employers. One of the best ways to do this is by demonstrating an academic skill set that is grounded in both analytical and creative thinking.

Yet so many students in the College of Letters & Sciences choose to avoid math and science like an 8 a.m. lecture. Closing off this giant avenue for study not only makes one more limited as a college graduate, but it also makes it much more difficult to change to an alternative career that requires a familiarity with math and science.

Most Wisconsin students are not going to be BFFs with math and science any time soon, but there is no reason why they cannot at least be mutual friends. Wisconsin’s SB-175 is not a magic bullet for achieving this goal, but it is a worthy proposal that will encourage qualified professionals to become teachers in the fields of math and science. The experience and enthusiasm they bring to the classroom will make small steps toward making physics phun and ‘rithmetic relevant for Wisconsin’s students.

Zach Schuster ([email protected]) is a graduate student studying water resources engineering and water resource management.