MPS in need of new leadership

Last week Thursday, Sens. Ted Kanavas and Leah Vukmir proposed a plan to the state Legislature to turn the Milwaukee Public Schools into an eight-district school system. According to a statement released on Sen. Kanavas’ website, he wants to make eight new school districts totally independent of each other. Stating that public schools work best when “the entire community takes ownership of its schools; when parents and teachers and principals and school board members all work together,” he believes separating the 213 schools of Milwaukee into more manageable districts would benefit all. The two senators ask this plan be fully implemented by the start of the 2013-14 academic year.

It is no stretch to say the Milwaukee Public Schools system is in dire need of repair. With a graduation rate of 46.1 percent, it is one of 17 urban districts in the nation to have a rate below 50 percent. It is appalling to think that more than one of every two students will not graduate in Milwaukee. Therefore, the need to do something to curb this trend is imminent, and I applaud Sen. Kanavas and Sen. Vukmir for at least trying.

However, the standard old wives’ call for people to “think of the children” is not good enough justification for such a massive overhaul. If we are to agree to this plan of separating MPS, we should look at every possible negative. In Kanavas’ statement, he says this plan “wouldn’t raise taxes” but would allow for each district to have its “own identity and newly elected school board.” However, if each new district were to have a newly elected school board, that would mean seven new superintendents who are paid a salary. They would also need to hire more janitors, secretaries and other support staff, which would be tough to do without raising taxes.

Kanavas’ most reoccurring statement and belief is that this separation of districts will allow for “parents to be more involved in their children’s schooling, increasing the chance of student success.” It’s hard to imagine that parents who are uninterested in their student’s schoolwork now would suddenly change their viewpoint as soon as their student’s district shrunk. The obstacle for parents to get involved in their children’s school is not the size of the district — it is based on the level of interest the parent has in the child. Therefore, dividing the district would do nothing for the motivation of parents to take interest in schools — only a parent’s desire to be an involved will have that effect.

There are many new variables that come into play if this plan is implemented. If we are to have eight different school systems of Milwaukee, seven need to adopt a new contract for teachers. This means the involvement of Wisconsin Education Association Council. Having threatened to strike before, it would not surprise me if they attempt to use this as a trump card to demand a contract unlike anywhere else in the state. They will be given the negotiation advantage because a new district cannot exist without teachers. Therefore, they will more than likely demand a contract that will become the new base for every other school district. We will be stuck with a contract that will not be able to be supported by the state. Clauses in the current contract, such as the rule of a teacher having to live in the city of Milwaukee while under its payroll, will be eliminated. If you are getting paid by a city, it’s not much to ask that you contribute to that community by living there. I fear the teacher contract we know now will drastically change for the worse if MPS is separated.

Milwaukee Public Schools are in need of change, I agree. However, it’s not because of the size of the district. Currently, MPS is the 31st largest school district, according to enrollment. Size can be overcome by good management. If you want to look at a problem, then look into why William Andrekopoulos, the current superintendent, has been in charge for seven years and dropout rates have only risen in his tenure. Any good business needs to have a good manager, and we need to start looking at MPS as a business.

If Milwaukee wants to fix MPS, it needs to hire outside the company. Bring someone in with fresh ideas, a record of success in a comparable district and a person who will manage everything in the district, including the school board members. Dr. Nancy Sebring, the superintendent of Des Moines Public Schools, would be a perfect fit. Under her tenure, Des Moines graduates 82 percent of its students. She has seen Des Moines schools become one of the best school districts in the nation. A woman like this would do well for MPS, assuming Milwaukee is willing to pay to bring her here. Unless we are willing to pay for top talent, we are going to be stuck with this current plague for a long time.

Overall, the best thing citizens can do right now to improve MPS is to get involved. Questioning your school board as to how they are spending the money you give them is very important. Holding them accountable for their actions is something that is not being done as well as it should be. MPS is not going to be fixed overnight, nor will it be easy to do. I commend Sens. Kanavas and Vukmir for trying, but unfortunately, it’s back to the drawing board.

Zach Day ([email protected]) is a freshman majoring in journalism.