Service emphasis good for country

For years, American leaders have been attempting to instill a sense of civic engagement and civic responsibility in the American public. These attempts, for the most part, have been futile, as evidenced by the continual characterization of our generation as a “me-first” group looking out for their own. Jean Twenge, author of “Generation Me,” collected vast amounts of data to write about how our generation has an unprecedented and unapologetic focus on the self. “Bowling Alone” by Robert Putnam demonstrated “the frequency of virtually every form of community involvement measured in the [polls] declined significantly, from the most common — petition signing — to the least common — running for office. Americans are playing virtually every aspect of the civic game less frequently today.” However, while most are quite certain the phenomenon exists and few know who or what to blame, we should focus on is how this might change in the near future.

For all the hype and admiration laid upon President Obama and his “genius” plans to rescue everything from our economy to our moral standing in the world, there is one major facet of his executive platform that receives little attention yet offers a glimmer of hope for those of us wishing to cast aside our “selfish” distinction. Obama greatly values a dedication to public service and is ready and willing to enact proposals meant to attract young people to the cause. While it seems doubtful that creating a system of mandatory public service — as many other nations have — would fit into the ideology of “American liberalism,” Obama’s current plan allows for the proper incentives that just might kick our generation’s engines into gear.

Dedication to public service, most often in the form of a post-graduate (either high school or college) “service year,” offers many opportunities both to those engaged in service and those receiving assistance. Programs like AmeriCorps, which Obama is pledging to expand threefold, from 75,000 positions to 250,000, and the Peace Corps, which Obama plans to double, allow for the individual to grow in ways immediate entry into the workforce doesn’t. By committing a year of service to the country, young people can gain a closer connection to their community as well as gain skills and experience they will carry with them for the rest of their lives.

To question the tangible societal benefits of such service is to misunderstand the impact large groups of motivated young people can have. One article states, “As of [September 2008], 12,000 AmeriCorps members have served in the Gulf Coast, spending a total of 4.2 million hours working on relief projects … [and] have helped coordinate the work of 368,000 additional volunteers.”

Yet one must ask, given the current climate, how programs like AmeriCorps can begin such a large expansion project. Estimates for Obama’s national-service plan put the bill at around $3.5 billion annually — money that might be hard to come by in tough economic times. However, to neglect such an important aspect of Obama’s plan for the future of our nation would be a mistake. First, the lofty price tag put on the program is a bit misleading. AmeriCorps workers receive less than $10,000 for their year of service (a figure substantially below the minimum wage) yet contribute to public agencies that otherwise would be forced to pay full-time workers. By increasing the supply of extremely motivated young people willing to work with such little financial compensation is a huge asset in these troubled economic times. In addition, a service year is a good way for a college graduate to push back their search for a full-time job in the hopes that by the end of their service year the tide will have turned on our financial woes. If that is not the case, however, service-year alums can use their $4,725 education stipend to begin work on a post-graduate degree.

It is because the expansion of national service programs is so practical for both those engaged in service and those receiving it, that the project must be undertaken. The hope is by providing incentive for young people to dedicate themselves to public service we will create an atmosphere in which our generation begins to connect to a society that it has been taught to withdraw from. President Obama shares this type of rhetoric with President Bush; both adhere to public service as an ideal we should work toward. With hope, President Obama will be able to translate that rhetoric into action.

So while many presidents who wished to engage the civic responsibility of the American people have passed, it seems now might be the time when serious action can be taken. Instead of defending itself from possible cuts, “national service for the first time is on offense,” according to Paul Schmitz, CEO of a Milwaukee-based charity. Maybe we will show the world our generation has finally begun to step out of our own addiction to self-focus; maybe we will finally and forcefully end the notion that we are all just “Bowling Alone.”

Ben White ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in political science.