Religion unleashed on courts

When Dionne Warwick sang “I Say a Little Prayer,” she did so as a recording artist, not a doctor. For two parents in Wausau, this should come as quite a surprise.

Madeline Neumann was 11 years old when she died. Like most young deaths, hers was unexpected. But unlike a freak accident or a painful battle with a terminal illness, Madeline’s death could have been prevented. Instead, Madeline died of diabetes, left undiagnosed not because she didn’t show signs of failure, but because her parents failed to take medical action.

Anyone who’s watched daytime TV knows what diabetes is. Although you may pronounce it dia-beetus thanks to Wilford Brimley, it’s not a mysterious illness like ALS or those feverless flus that always caught you during middle school test days. Living with diabetes, as commercial spots explained to me, involves careful monitoring of blood sugar, insulin and serious determination. Rosaries are optional. But Dale and Leilani Neumann, Madeline’s parents, must not catch much Court TV or Maury, because when their daughter starting falling ill, they didn’t call a pediatrician; they called on the Lord. Unfortunately, he doesn’t fill prescriptions.

This week, a judge is set to rule whether Dale and Leilani should face second-degree reckless homicide charges for letting their daughter go weeks without proper medical attention. On the surface, it seems like a no-brainer. Their child is dead, and they did nothing to stop it. Or did they? Prayer may not be the most common treatment for serious illness, but Jesus cured a bunch of lepers, and I’ve seen dozens of arthritic healings live on the 700 Club. The metronomic nature of court-faith interactions makes this case difficult not only from a legal perspective, but from an ethical one as well.

Believe it or not, this is not the first time the courts have dealt with this type of story. But in the four previous similar cases, two went to trial and two were dismissed. Therefore, there’s no strong legal precedent to fall back on when deciding whether to continue the legal process. Without legal history backing the charges, this almost becomes a judgment call, questioning whether the Neumanns’ actions were not only irresponsible, but also criminal.

Distrust of modern medicine is not that uncommon a religious belief. Some Christian Scientists believe in avoiding drugs and surgery, and Tom Cruise doesn’t accept depression medication as an acceptable way to cope after watching “Vanilla Sky.” To suggest prayer is an inferior means of treatment could, in the eyes of some, undermine religion, and the United States works hard to avoid making any statements on faith.

Obviously, the Neumanns didn’t intend to let their daughter die, but intent is only one part of the equation. Involuntary murder is still murder, and while drunkenly driving a truck into a station wagon is quite different than praying for divine intervention, they both achieved, in this instance, the same result. The court system, like any other government entity, is free from religious influence and should look at this case like it would any other: A girl is dead, and someone should be held accountable.

The government’s stance on religion is difficult to pin down. Is America a country that believes in freedom of religion, or freedom from religion? It’s not an easy question to answer, but it is one that will find further definition this week. Whether or not Dale and Leilani Neumann face trial has a profound impact on the legitimacy of religious practices and beliefs. Ultimately, they should stand trial, not only because their daughter is dead, but also because until they are convicted, they are still innocent in the eyes of the law.

Faith is, in itself, a trial. Martyrdom only kicks in once you’ve died for your beliefs. If the Neumanns truly believed in their actions, they should embrace the opportunity to defend themselves. Besides, you’d be amazed how far a little faith will go. I wouldn’t bank on Lazarus, but this should be interesting.

Sean Kittridge ([email protected]) is a junior majoring in journalism.