House strikes out with hearings

Quick. What is the most pressing issue in our country today? The Iraq war, the 2008 presidential race, health care reform, Social Security reform or border control? Unfortunately, none of those issues seem to be at the height of our government?s concern at the moment. Rather, Congress has been spending time and money to investigate a handful of baseball players and their steroid use. Yes, that is correct: Congress has devoted many of its resources to unearthing those evil, reprehensible cheaters. All those terrorists and American citizens in need of aid will have to wait their turn until we can make sure the baseball record books are properly in line.

What caused Congress to suddenly become so interested in Major League Baseball? In 2005, when Mark McGwire was called to testify before Congress, Rep. Tom Davis, R-Va., was quoted saying, ?Let?s be clear: This is a national public health crisis. It would be irresponsible if the government chose to not get involved.? Many representatives have also argued that something must be done to sway ?our nation?s children? from the dangers of steroid use. It seems as though saving the youth has become their calling card on this issue.

I find it odd that a legal drug in our society ? alcohol ? is killing 1,700 college kids a year, according to the Marin Institute. However, Congress has taken aim against steroids, for which there is no proof linking them to a death by any reputable report. I am by no means condoning steroid use by anyone. However, I find it a bit worrisome that Congress is fronting a major offensive on a drug that negatively affects only four percent of teenage kids, while alcohol negatively affects more than 31 percent of the same demographic.

It seems to me that our crafty government is up to its old tricks again. I think we can all agree that MLB is a major fixture of our society with sizable love and support. It is also something that millions of fans want to see keep its integrity intact. Therein lies the problem. Members of Congress view steroid prevention in professional baseball as an opportunity to unite themselves with America?s pastime not for the sake of the game but rather for their own benefit.

For example, during one hearing, Rep. Christopher Shays, D-Conn., referred to the 1919 scandal of the Chicago Blackhawks. Anyone with any sort of sports knowledge would know that he meant the Chicago Black Sox. He also mispronounced Rafael Palmeiro?s last name. Either the state of Connecticut has a representative who has trouble reading, or they have someone impersonating a fan worried about the state of baseball. Either way, it is not a good situation for any of the parties in question.

The fact of the matter is that our country?s resources have been tied up for well over ten years with steroid issues in baseball. According to The New York Times, at least six committees or subcommittees have been created to deal with baseball-related issues.

If our government?s leaders can align themselves with a cause that is dear to the voters, maybe they can continue to weasel their way into office by way of baseball fans. It?s a shame the members of these committees haven?t found the time or desire to align themselves with more worthy causes. Maybe if they could fix the problems that are affecting all Americans they could win even more votes. That would just make way too much sense, though.

It has to feel great to know that as baseball ticket prices continue to rise, we?ll have a Congress that?s focused on spending our tax dollars to ensure that MLB can keep their profits up. God, I love America.

Ben Patterson ([email protected]) is a junior majoring in political science.