Madison unleashes progressive energy

Last week, I attended a lecture by John Stossel, hoping to gain some insight into the world of TV journalism and investigative reporting. Mr. Stossel hosts “Give Me a Break” on ABC’s “20/20,” a segment that had once been a staple in my household. After an hour of listening to my falling idol try to convince the crowd that unregulated capitalism will solve all of our country’s problems, an audience member asked his opinion on global warming. Mr. Stossel’s memorable response began with the ignorant statement, “There’s been a little warming.”

This event, and the rousing applause that greeted Mr. Stossel’s words, brought me to a disturbing realization: In Madison, global warming is an issue on everyone’s mind. There are a number of student organizations working to reduce our impact on the planet, and signs all over campus declare the school’s commitment to saving energy. I began to take for granted that everyone had accepted climate change as a fact.

We live in one of the most progressive cities in the nation, and it’s easy to forget that there are so many people who still doubt the legitimacy of global warming. But this past Thursday, firmly believing science had finally won out over politics and that the general population recognized the issue of global warming, I was shocked back to reality by Mr. Stossel’s remark. His lecture reminded me of the number of people who still close their minds to the seriousness of climate change, treating it as a partisan issue.

Later in the week, the Roosevelt Energy Conference at the Capital provided some balance to Mr. Stossel. This event brought together politicians and representatives from groups including the American Transmission Company, the National Caucus of Environmental Legislators, The Wisconsin League of Conservation Voters, SmartPower and many others interested in implementing a reasonable energy policy for the United States. Its mission was to connect individuals nationwide who hope to play a part in forming this country’s energy policy with professionals within the private and public sector. Listening to a student from Harvard University propose an ad campaign renewed my hope in Madison’s stance on the issue. The campaign’s wide reach and effectiveness would rival that of old classics such as Smokey the Bear and “Just Say No.”

In our progressive political environment, we have two options: We can rest on our laurels, or we can educate the hesitant and misinformed. I hope we have the foresight to choose the latter.

One project through which our city can make an impact is “Mpowering.” This campaign seeks a 100,000-ton reduction of Madison’s CO2 emissions by 2011 through citizen conservation pledges. With the slogan “You can. You count,” Mpowering takes its mission beyond awareness, driving action.

Whether or not the general U.S. population is completely aware of the repercussions of global warming remained ambiguous at the end of this week. What was clear, however, was the need for collective action. Individuals are not going to feel as though they’re doing their part to save the world by flipping off the lights when they leave a room. But if these individuals feel like part of a movement, then as they shave a minute off their showers, buy a couple florescent light bulbs and turn off the lights when the leave the room, they will realize their individual efforts add to the collective one.

That’s where groups like Mpowering and Wisconsin Public Interest Research Group’s “Big Red Go Green” campaign come in. In other parts of the country, where the idea of global warming is still scoffed at, awareness campaigns are crucial. But in Madison, a city filled with activists, students and people who thrive on knowledge and challenge the majority, we need action to make an impact not only on the planet, but on the mindsets and ideologies of the nation.

Adi Lev-er ([email protected]) is a freshman majoring in communication arts and journalism.