Legislation to give immigrants rights they deserve

It would seem obvious that, upon graduating high school or receiving a GED, a student should be able to pursue higher education opportunities such as attending the University of Wisconsin. However, according to the National Immigration Law Center, approximately 65,000 graduating seniors each year experience difficulty in doing so. They are hardworking students and good citizens, yet are punished for their parents' actions. They are the children of undocumented immigrants in the United States. They experience difficulty acquiring financial aid and in-state tuition because they have immigrated illegally. The Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors Act, more commonly referred to as the DREAM Act, seeks to change this inequality within the educational institutions of America. The DREAM Act, first introduced in 2001, has been circulating throughout the U.S. Senate ever since. According to the National Immigration Law Center, the DREAM Act would give students — those who immigrated illegally between the ages of 5 and 16 years old — the opportunity to apply for "conditional lawful permanent resident status" upon graduating high school and demonstrating good moral character. Although "moral character" has several interpretations, the greatest measure is a student's criminal record and participation within the community. The conditional permanent residential status would typically last for six years. In this time, the student must either be enrolled in a university and actively seeking a degree for two years, participate in the military for at least two years or complete 910 community service hours. That is an average of approximately 150 hours a year, or a little more than three hours a week. Another provision is that a student may not travel abroad for an extensive period of time. Conditional permanent residential status provides undocumented students with a path to citizenship. If a student completes his requirements and remains out of the criminal justice system, he would qualify to apply for citizenship. Currently, an undocumented student cannot apply for citizenship because he immigrated illegally. Furthermore, even upon acceptance into an institution of higher learning, the student often has a very hard time affording it. Financial aid, as it currently stands, is not extended to undocumented students, thereby severing opportunities for many of those who wish to attend institutions of higher education. The DREAM Act would also ensure that financial aid becomes more accessible to these disenfranchised students. This bill is important for several reasons. First, it would strengthen the economy. According to the National Immigration Law Center, "the children of undocumented immigrants are far more likely to drop out of high school than are students who were born in the U.S." A high school dropout is more likely to utilize a social service such as welfare, which is funded by tax dollars. If the dropout rates were to decrease, reducing dependence on social welfare programs, it would save American citizens millions upon millions of dollars currently allocated for these programs. With the addition of new citizens comes an addition to tax revenue. In 1999, RAND, a global non-profit think tank, estimated that the average Mexican immigrant who receives his or her degree from an institution of higher learning will pay $5,300 more toward the government and cost the government $3,900 less in terms of "criminal justice and welfare expenses" each year. That is an incredible contribution that totals $9,000, which can be allocated to expanding university programs, outreach to these communities, etc. The DREAM Act would contribute positively to the diversity of campuses throughout the nation as well. A campus that is diverse is a campus that thrives. With a multitude of opinions and cultural backgrounds, a university has the ability to reach its potential for progress. The 65,000 students that meet the DREAM Act standards would contribute positively to campus culture, further enriching the experiences of every student. But above all, it is the right thing to do. A student who has become a contributing member of society should be allowed the opportunity to continue to contribute. It is outrageous to hold a minor accountable for the actions of their parents that are out of their control. Minors who crossed the border alongside their families had no choice in the matter, so why should they be penalized? These students could have attended high school with you, made that game-winning shot in the basketball game or received the valedictorian medal at your high school. They are students just like us and they deserve the opportunities U.S.-born students are provided. It is society's responsibility to ensure that every child has the opportunity to pursue academic success. Thus, the DREAM Act should be passed. Hannah Karns ([email protected]) is a sophomore majoring in international studies and political science.